• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed the oil and now the engine ticks.

Spanky414 said:
Ok so if I pick one of those up , can I change the filter without draining the oil? I know I'll lose a bit but I wanted to wait to change the oil till I was at my dads place this weekend.
Sure you will lose about a quart in the filter.
BTW while your down there plug the oil pressure sender back in.

YES, A bad oil filter can cause low oil pressure.

And fix your oil pressure gauge (or sender). You have all the symptoms of low oil pressure but don't know how bad it is - recipe for a long wait by the roadside....

Ok so changing it is going to spill a bit of oil I would assume but not much right? I don't have my drain pan here so I don't want to drop too much, I'll just use some cardboard or something.

Found one at carquest for 32 bucks, so I'll change that after fiddle around with the wire a bit more.

So if its low oil pressure then I shoudln't drive it, is it ok to idle while I play with the wire and try to get it working though?

Spanky414 said:
Ok so changing it is going to spill a bit of oil I would assume but not much right? I don't have my drain pan here so I don't want to drop too much, I'll just use some cardboard or something.

Found one at carquest for 32 bucks, so I'll change that after fiddle around with the wire a bit more.

So if its low oil pressure then I shoudln't drive it, is it ok to idle while I play with the wire and try to get it working though?

You'll drop up to half a quart of oil when you remove the filter... cardboard may not do, but any cheap tinfoil roastpan-liner ($0.49 at the Wal-Mart, I'd bet!) will certainly work.

Have an extra quart on hand to refill 'er... per the dipstick reading.

I wouldn't refill it until I was done messing with the sending unit... I dunno if that'll leak much or not (probably not... when the engine is shut off, MOST of the oil drains down to the pan). In fact... come to think of it... I'd probably change the sender FIRST, I think. Just so I could witness the difference in filters!

If you've been driving it around... a couple more minutes of idling with low pressure probably won't hurt ... much!

Another thing... the slight differences in viscosity between a good oil (Castrol) and a cheap oil (Valvoline) could be enough to cause the tapping by itself (aka, it was "on the verge" all along).

Den

It may have been on the verge of it all along cause I think it used to do it at high revs. I remember hearing a ticking like that while accelerating to highway speed and letting off when I heard it or it would shift gears and go away. I just thought it could be anything making that sound at a high RPM even just something rattling in the engine compartment. Now that i think about it, it would have had to be pretty loud to overpower the rush of air around my jeep going down the highway at 80-100kmh with all my carpet and interior pulled out.

So I'll play with the wire for the pressure sender and see if I can get it working, then if not and the wire and gauge are working correctly I'll put in a new sender and get a reading.

If its low then I'll put in the new filter and change the oil again.

Well I check out the sending unit. I pulled the wire off and it stayed spiked, then I grouned the wire with peice of jumper wire and it dropped to zero.

I'm taking that as the sender unit being no good, or it lost its ground I forgot to check that. Its all rusty and crap though so I'm pretty sure its gone.

Spanky414 said:
Well I check out the sending unit. I pulled the wire off and it stayed spiked, then I grouned the wire with peice of jumper wire and it dropped to zero.

I'm taking that as the sender unit being no good, or it lost its ground I forgot to check that. Its all rusty and crap though so I'm pretty sure its gone.
It's shot.

I'm picking up the new sender today and putting it in to check the oil pressure.

But now I'm really worried about that new sound, all I can think of is it sounds like an exhaust leak or something, my friend with more car experince then me says it sounds like a spark plug is missing or something.

Could a valve have jammed open but not be hitting the piston? Cause like I said earlier the ticking has quieted down a bit so I don't hear it in the jeep but I really hear this puffing and the engine shakes a bit.

Spanky414 said:
I'm picking up the new sender today and putting it in to check the oil pressure.

But now I'm really worried about that new sound, all I can think of is it sounds like an exhaust leak or something, my friend with more car experince then me says it sounds like a spark plug is missing or something.

Could a valve have jammed open but not be hitting the piston? Cause like I said earlier the ticking has quieted down a bit so I don't hear it in the jeep but I really hear this puffing and the engine shakes a bit.
It still acts like a lifter is not working, you will see it if you pull a valve cover.
Let us know what you find with the oil pressure.

Will do, probably tommorow morning cause today is a nightmare of running around, with no car of course.

I was thinking of pulling the valve cover. I actually dreamt of doing that last night LOL.

I can get a compression tester, I'm thinking that might tell me some stuff too.

Spanky414 said:

Where are you located? As for oil filters, as stated above, I'd recommend the NAPA gold. Less than $10, and have had no problem with pressure since using it.

Something that was recommended to me on a local jeep forum, and seems to have made a difference, as I have a ticking noise, and have had intermittently for a while. is something you can get at a GM dealership called EOS. You put it in with your oil, and it basically will help clean everything out. Only $10 and so far from what I see, so good. [as well just doing my rear main, I as well know mine isn't bad for buildup as well] There's another product they have that I was talking to the guy about I'm going to try next oil change. Just before you change the oil, you putin this treatment you have, drive it for a bit, then change the oil/filter. Put the EOS in with the oil. It's supposed to make a big difference overall in engine performance and keeping this cleaner. Might be worth looking into. I know several jeep owners who swear by it.

I'm located in North Bay, couple hours north of Toronto.

Maybe I should talk to some local jeep club members as they maybe be able to Diagnose better then me.

As for the flush and additive, why GM specific ones, seems there is tons on the market or the kerosene or diesel ones I always see. Not that there would be anything wrong with the GM one. Your pretty much saying do a flush and then during the oil change put in an additive.

I'm confused about your rear main, are you saying its not or it is leaking or it was and you fixed it?

I was planning on the Napa gold but does anyone know anything about the ones Carquest carries cause I go there for parts most of the time and would love to get it all from one store.

Also when I refill I was thinking of going with high milage oil. They are ment to help with stuff like this right?

I service a different animal than what you drive so this may not apply, but thought I would mention it anyway.....

On the 98 cherokee, at the rear of the engine, on the passenger side of the firewall are some odds and ends that I assume have to do with emission control junk. These click and or tick on a very regular basis once the jeep is warmed up. I dont know if yours has this or not.

Have you been able to isolate the area of the engine that this noise is coming from?

Dave

Spanky414 said:
I'm located in North Bay, couple hours north of Toronto.

Maybe I should talk to some local jeep club members as they maybe be able to Diagnose better then me.

As for the flush and additive, why GM specific ones, seems there is tons on the market or the kerosene or diesel ones I always see. Not that there would be anything wrong with the GM one. Your pretty much saying do a flush and then during the oil change put in an additive.

I'm confused about your rear main, are you saying its not or it is leaking or it was and you fixed it?

I was planning on the Napa gold but does anyone know anything about the ones Carquest carries cause I go there for parts most of the time and would love to get it all from one store.

Also when I refill I was thinking of going with high milage oil. They are ment to help with stuff like this right?

Local for us which I'm on as well is jeepkings.ca If you want a sensor rather than buying, let me know and I can mail it up to you. Shouldn't take but a few days to get there.
As for the EOS and the other GM product, I honestly don't know, but from what I was told, it's a very good product and works well with the jeep. So far it has made a difference with my ticking noise, as it's a lot quieter than it was before. I have tried the pre-oil drain one yet though. Only the EOS which was recommended.

Yeah, my rear main was leaking pretty bad, but is now fixed and no leaks. Drove to Thunder Bay and back leaking 1L/tank. Ended up losing 2L/ 1/2 tank. Got it replaced. Not too hard to do, but had a hell of a time getting the oil pan out. Ended up having to remove the trackbar bolt which dropped me the extra couple inches I needed to get it out.

I was using that until I was leaking oil. I'm running 20w50 right now, and will running 10w40 next oil change for winter. Been thinking of switching to syn since I've seem to got my leaks under stopped for the most part but really unsure if I should at this point wiht about 200k on it.

Just got the one side finished. Now to do the other side. Going to try without the rear sway bar on this time. What can I expect with it off?

LOL haven't slept in 24hrs now. Getting posts crossed so no worries

Just putting in new leaf springs is all.
Let me know how it goes. Off to Ottawa to my uncles tomorrow for me....

Back