• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Change the Differential Fluid??

offroadinchick said:
Ok, now this is turning into a quest! Auto Zone just told me that they no longer carry them. So what does everyone think, is the gasket that much better it is worth the search / wait, or is using just the silicone great too?? This is my 2000 Cherokee, DD, and I take it out almost every other weekend on trails now.....
I always go with the silicon stuff too. One thing to add to Rich's instructions is to let the gasket sealer 'skin' for awhile first. I usually give it an hour or so, and if I really feel like it I'll leave the diffs empty overnight after putting the cover on. In the morning I'll tighten the bolts and refill the diffs. I leave a bottle of gear oil on the seat so I don't jump in the Jeep and drive off with dry diffs though.

RichP said:
Go to the jeep dealer and pick up a tube of RTV Mopar part number 82300234, I prefer a gasket but RTV works fine. Jack up the jeep on stands, loosen all the bolts around the cover, remove all but the two top ones. With a catch bucket underneath pry the cover off, I use a narrow spackle knife. The two bolts on top prevent cover from falling off into your catch bucket and soaking you with lube. If you have a limited slip rear pickup a bottle of the friction modifer, it's about 3 oz or so. Pickup about 2-3 quarts of gear lube, that should do it. Depends on whether it's a D35 or 8.25 chrysler rear. Clean the cover and remove all the old sealant from both the cover and the diff housing. Put one continous bead around the cover making a U at each bolt hole with the bottom of the U on the inside NOT the outside, make the bead between a 1/4 and 1/3 inch wide. Have plenty of rags and some electrosolve cleaner, the kind that dries with no residue and clean the housing out, don't be afraid to use the whole can of cleaner, it won't hurt anything, use the rags to clean it out. Put the cover back on, tighten and pour in the first bottle of lube, add second bottle and as soon as it starts running out the hole it's full. Lower and take it for a drive then bring it back, up on the stands, pop the cover and see where the level is, add more lube as needed. If you need to add the friction modifier add it after the first quart of lube. Thats about it, front works the same cept the filler cap is threaded unlike the 8.25 where it's a rubber plug.

There's no reason to waste your money on Mopar RTV. It's just going to be another brand repackaged, probably Permatex, for twice as much. Also if you fill it while it's on jackstands, unless the front is up too and it is level, you will over fill it.

BTW - XJs never came from the factory with a gasket...

ZmOz said:
There's no reason to waste your money on Mopar RTV. It's just going to be another brand repackaged, probably Permatex, for twice as much. Also if you fill it while it's on jackstands, unless the front is up too and it is level, you will over fill it.

BTW - XJs never came from the factory with a gasket...

I did not know that, thats good info about xjs from the factory, thanks! I will use whatever gear oil, doesnt have to be mopar imo. I dont think I should have to jack my xj up, its lifted, and I am average size, I never had any problems looking under it before, but I will keep that in mind, thanks!

Elwarpo said:
has anyone tried lubelockers?

www.lubelocker.com

A few wrangler guys I know use them, they can even be reused (within limits)

Mike

Darn, looks like a good idea, no 8.25 though...

Originally Posted by RichP
Never stop in a water crossing if you can avoid it, the hot lube will draw cold water in thru the seals.

WIth a gasket seal, Silicone or both??

The water comes in through the seals around the axle shafts, at the brake drums, not through the diff cover.

The factory uses silicone and the factory service manual calls for silicone w/o gasket. That's what most folks use, and it seems to work. Just be sure that both mating surfaces are clean. Spray them down with brake cleaner and blow dry just before applying the sealant. If you can spare the time, it's always nice to let the sealant set up overnight before adding the diff lube.

Back