• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chains or Snow tires?

What do you mean by dedicated set of snow tires?

If your tires are worn out, buy new ones. Seems simple to me.
X2

and learn to drive in snow, chains and "snow tires" leave way for ignorance and comfort, learn to drive and drive within your means and youll be fine

Sean and I both just moved up from SoCal, Think he is just asking what the preference is up here chains or tires with snow rating. Are there areas that require chains regardless of the type of tire that you have on?

X2

and learn to drive in snow, chains and "snow tires" leave way for ignorance and comfort, learn to drive and drive within your means and youll be fine
x2.. with a little research you will find a good enough tire to not need "snow tires" or chains.. the only time i recommend chains is in heavy ice conditions..

We've discussed this topic pretty heavily before, so try searching.

But in a nut shell, as mostly said above, if you have good snow rated tires (mud tires for example) I wouldn't worry about it. The only problem you might have (other than ice) is sometime the passes will require chains to go over them(when it's really crappy out). But a good amount of guys with built rigs on this forum have been allowed to continue over the pass without chains, some have not been as lucky though...just don't expect it.

If you're tires are wearing out now, I'd suggest getting some good mud tires if you plan to wheel your rig in the future too. You'll want good tires this year, it sounds.

if you do a lot of driving in the snow and ice and are worried about that kind of traction, i would go with something like the duratrac, with a lot of siping, to allow for best traction in wet/icy conditions, ide iven argue the duratracs are better than mtr offroad in snow up to abou 4". just depends on what kinda driving any everything you are looking to be doing most, you kow these answers best and therefor can give yourself the best answer

Currently running TRUXX MT's I should be good?

Currently running TRUXX MT's I should be good?

The only thing I would question is the tread depth. You'll probably be fine though honestly. As Scott said, if you have trouble air down. Two years ago when I was on 31's I aired down to 20-25PSI for dding in the snow and it worked pretty well over normal pressure, 30PSI.

Replace your ATs with another set of BFG ATs they are a great snow tire and with a 4wd you will likely not be required to have chains. Technically you are required to have them in the vehicle when traveling over the pass during the winter, but it's not enforced unless chains are required. Usually when the conditions are bad enough to require AWD and 4WD vehicles to chain up the road gets closed for Avalanche work.

Trxus MT's were KING on the deep snow runs. We'll see how the new Goodyear's perform shortly. I wouldn't recommend a set of KM2's to ANYBODY.

I have heard Iroks do pretty well in the deep snow, what is your opinion?

No personal experience, but FRESH Irok's are absolutely supposed to kick ass in the deep snow. The problem is they wear fast in other conditions, so once the "freshness" is gone, they're not as good.

Won't happen this year but I've considered getting a set just for snow wheeling.

I have a tendancy to butt into things that are none of my business, so I will keep up with the tradition.

First off, Are you guys both Californians who have moved to the NW (Tonasket area)?

If this is the case, this is a VERY different story than the answers that have been provided in this thread.

Give us the REAL questions with REAL situation and we can give you much better REAL world experience.

On road, off road?
What part of the state?
What specs your Jeep has?
ETC, ETC, ETC!!

If you honestly have NO experience in driving in the snow and are looking for a new set of tires for driving on the road in the winter in the Tonasket area you probably should consider a decent set of SNOW tires (not 4 season, not MT's, not AT's, not studded, or chains) but real SNOW tires with excellent siping.

The alternative is getting a great tire and haveing them well siped.

Again, give us a better question and we can provide a better answer!

Michael

Back