• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna placement

ChuckstrPT said:
Our club does not allow them on the trail. They can be dangerous in close quarters.

Having lived with a whip for a couple years I wouldn't recommend running one on a vehicle that will be wheeled.

In my case it wasn't so much the flopping around that was the issue (tied at top of roll cage on LWB SJ-413 seemed to work ok) but more so the total height. My 413 was SOA on 33s, put the bumper somewhere shy of around 3 feet off the ground. Add to that an 8' antenna and you are always hitting overhead brush when in the bush. I finally gave up on it when it hit a tree and it started to crack/delaminate.

If you have a steel whip you might be able to flop it forward and tie it to the front bumper when long range isn't required (military style) but if it is a fiberglass whip I'd seriously think about returning/selling it and getting a 4' firestick or similar.

HTH

Stouttrout said:
Those are nice mounts but I have emailed him a number times and PM'ed him. I never get a response back.

Dan

I made my own kind of like his, but a little more beefy, and for the passenger side, this way I can still go thru drive thrus w/ my 102" whip.

K40 w/ 4' stainless whip with a quick release mounted on the roof directly above the dome light. It seems to get along surprisingly well with the trees. If you have a roof rack remember that the SWR will be different with the rack empty and loaded.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. Got it in and hooked up in a couple of hours. Ended up putting it in the rear passenger side and bolted in securely. The whip I also have a spring on it so it has more give to it when needed, and easily can pull it down and forward and tuck it under one of the roofrack cross arms. Not sure what the SWR is at all, but it is working well so far. Unfortunately it doesn't have weather channels, but for what I paid for it I can't complain. Coax was ease to run on the passenger side, excess is tucked under the rear seat. The power wiring was run directly to the fuse block. Easiest to do, and as I've read you don't want the coax crossing over the CB's power wires as it can cause problems.

If I can find someone with something to test the SWR I'll get that done to see how it is.

Back