• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caveats to buying a 97 with a manual tranny

SurplusFan98

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to buy a 97 XJ in running condition. Its a 4.0L with 144k miles, 4x4 with a 5-speed manual tranny. I'm told the only thing it needs is AC repair and a clutch. I've watched the videos on replacing the clutch and that looks like a BIG job, but not necessarily insurmountable.

I know there are quirks to a 97, and to the AX15, but if everything was working this would be exactly what I want for an overlanding type build I have in mind. I would prefer the manual to the automatic for the kind of driving I plan to do, but I've never had a Jeep manual before and don't know too much about them (I've got an AW4 and know at least a little).

I wanted to give you more knowledgeable guys an opportunity to talk me out of it. I've read that TCMs for the 97s are really hard to get. I know that parts/replacements for the AX15 are much more difficult to come by (at le4ast for the XJ - is it the same as what they used in the TJ?). I know that 97 was a weird year for all things electrical. But, I don't know what I don't know, so lay it on me. If I'm a Youtube certified driveway mechanic, am I biting off more than I can chew?

Thanks!

The clutch itself is simple and easy, the issue is what you have to work with! I have a lift and trans jack and could one out in about an hour, but if your working off jack stands you'll be there a lot longer, they are no fun to do that way.
P1080781(1).JPG

I would not be put off by the clutch. At some point every clutch needs replaced, much like brakes. Transmissions are just more awkward to wrestle than are wheels.

WRT the clutch, if you buy a clutch kit that supposedly comes with everything necessary for the job, do not plan to use the throwout bearing that comes with the kit. Odds are it is a POS time bomb with a plastic housing. Throw that thing in the trash and get a real throwout bearing from either Timken or SKF. Unless of course you really want to pull the transmission at some unkown point in the future just to replace the throwout bearing.

Just a question, does a manual trans XJ need a TCM? I do own an '88 MJ that had the BA-10/5. It was OK, but one of the synchros was bad. Still, shifted OK. A bit of grinding at times on one of the down shifts.
I did replace an A/C clutch in one of my XJs. It did not go well. I had to do some machining on one of the plates. I had issues with it latter. I think it was not correct for my year or such. Other than that, I think with the correct parts, its just getting the right spacing. I did end up buying a rebuilt A/C compressor. Note that many of the Box Stores do not sell the A/C Clutch. Only Compressors with and without them.

The clutch itself is simple and easy, the issue is what you have to work with! I have a lift and trans jack and could one out in about an hour, but if your working off jack stands you'll be there a lot longer, they are no fun to do that way.

I don't have a lift or trans jack. I belong to local jeep club, but I wouldn't think any of those guys did either. There is a mechanic locally that specializes in jeeps, and there's a couple dealerships, but both options are a bit pricey. What would a reasonable price for a clutch job be if I just didn't think I could tackle that job myself with the tools I have?

I don't have a lift or trans jack. I belong to local jeep club, but I wouldn't think any of those guys did either. There is a mechanic locally that specializes in jeeps, and there's a couple dealerships, but both options are a bit pricey. What would a reasonable price for a clutch job be if I just didn't think I could tackle that job myself with the tools I have?

Did you look at rental places for a trans jack? Also, I think there are attachments for a regular floor jack.

Just a question, does a manual trans XJ need a TCM?

No, the TCM is for the automatics.

The driver's brain is the TCM for a manual transmission... :D

No, the TCM is for the automatics. The driver's brain is the TCM for a manual transmission... :D
That makes perfect sense, and makes me feel a little better to boot. Thank you.

Did you look at rental places for a trans jack? Also, I think there are attachments for a regular floor jack.
No, I haven't looked at any rentals, but thats a thought. I can get a trans jack at Harbor Freight for $100, assuming 450lbs is adequate. Thoughts?

I'd be shocked if any car/SUV transmission weighed much more than 120lbs.

Might be a good idea to "proof test" the HF jack by lifting a greater weight than the trans and seeing if it holds itself up for a period of time - if the jack's got an issue, better you find out before it's holding up your trans...

A trans jack is just a matter of convenience and comfort for an AX-15. You don't have to have one.

It is when I get into something like an SM465 that I want a trans jack.

That makes perfect sense, and makes me feel a little better to boot. Thank you.

No, I haven't looked at any rentals, but thats a thought. I can get a trans jack at Harbor Freight for $100, assuming 450lbs is adequate. Thoughts?

What Rob posted is the thought I had that you would not need a TCM. Still, best to check since I only have experience with the '88. I remember the weight of an AX-15 and NV3550 as 80 lbs. So, some can or could hoist it up by hand. I don't recommend or like that. A slip or such and hiring a shop is a lot cheaper than Medical bills. So, the HF should do you. I remember I attached my NV3550 to the motor outside the vehicle. Put in de-headed bolts in the top two bolt holes.
I don't like getting under vehicle with just jack stands. But some wood blocks if you can.

Eidt: It's been while since I had a trans replaced. I want to say $800 to $1500 for just labor in and out. It can go higher depending area, say CA and type of vehicle, say Lamborghini

Last edited:
Before you start looking at the clutch, do a fluid change. Do not use standard GL rated gear oil as the sulfurs in it will erode the brass synchros. Redline MT90, Penzoil synchromesh, or even synthetic 10w-30 motor oil works well. If the oil comes out with yellow glitter you're probably looking at worn out synchros and rebuilding the trans as well.

When I bought my MJ, the used car dealer told me it had a bad clutch. It would grind going into gear unless you double clutched. I later found a receipt in the glove box for a clutch job done 2 months prior, so guessing it got traded in when the clutch job didn't fix the problem. The oil was full of yellow glitter when I drained it. I rebuilt the trans myself and initially filled it with cheap GL-3 oil planning to refill in a week or two with the good stuff. It shifted so bad I thought I buggered the rebuild. I refilled it with the Redline and it shifted beautifully after that.

Tip on the trans when you go to reinstall it. Get some long bolts matching the bellhousing bolt. Cut the heads off and cut a screwdriver slot in the end. Thread those into the engine block and use them as guides to slide the trans into place.

Back