• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter

Does any one else find this crazy? If a car passes the emissions, who cares whats on it? I dont get the rationale.

KH

The way I understand it, the crackdown is due in large part to the rapid proliferation of the "fast and furious" tuners. Every kid with a honda and 3 feet of P.V.C. pipe thinks he can make the thing faster or louder and the result is increased emissions. Keep in mind that not all emissions are measurable on a smog machine with a partial stream sample. We test the vehicle tailpipe emissions at 15 mph at 50% load and at 25mph at 20% load. This only gives a snapshot of what the vehicle is doing after it is warmed up under steady state operations. It is certain that emissions are much higher before the vehicle is warmed up or under W.O.T. operation when getting on the freeway. Some kid with an air filter hanging right over the exhaust manifold is certainly ingesting hotter air into the engine than the stock air cleaner had. That hot air could easily raise NOx emissions, but how can that be measured in a shop with the hood up? Now the kid has taken a honda that was probably close to zero emissions and made it barely pass. Not to mention HC emissions that occur when the vehicle is not even being operated. The rules need to be the same for everyone and tailpipe emissions are only a portion of the equation. I agree that it is a pain but a simple sniffer test cannot check the other systems that come into play when the vehicle is being operated

The way I understand it...
you can post it as many times as you like, and i understand what you are saying, but its still a lame over reaction, plain and simple.

whatever.
what i wanna know, is wtf is up w/ smog exempt addresses? are they the new THING to have? shit i want one!

you can post it as many times as you like, and i understand what you are saying, but its still a lame over reaction, plain and simple.

whatever.
what i wanna know, is wtf is up w/ smog exempt addresses? are they the new THING to have? shit i want one!

Oops, I didn't mean to post that twice.

I have a smog exempt address, my jeep is registered at my mom's house in Idaho. I know there used to be some areas in California that only required an inspection for change of ownership, but I thought they changed that.

my jeep is registered at my mom's house in Idaho.

i was told at the DMV when i moved back out here from ohio that if you reside in this state you have 15 days to file for a CA registration if your vehicle spends the majority of its time here in CA. :dunno:

i was told at the DMV when i moved back out here from ohio that if you reside in this state you have 15 days to file for a CA registration if your vehicle spends the majority of its time here in CA. :dunno:

I was told that too, but sofar, no one has been able to tell where my jeep spends most of its time.

The snow birds that come to palm springs stay here for 6 to 7 months a year..I know i am going to get my tags for the motorhome out of state, last year my tags were over 1400 bucks...This takes alot of money away from my jeeps..:gag:

I didn't register my Jeep out here until my AZ reg ran out in DEC. They ran my registration for July and hit me with back fees and late charges and all that other crap. I felt like smacking some DMV workers. But then realized it's not entirely their fault...

I was told that too, but sofar, no one has been able to tell where my jeep spends most of its time.

If you are in the military then you don't have to get CA tags. I filed for MT registration on my vehicles and don't claim CA for anything. But the only thing is I still have to pass the smog test. That also means that i dont have to get the required certificate. After I got my rusted muffler fixed my numbers were the following:

15 MPH 1643 RPM
CO2 14.43
O2 .20
PPM 53 MAX 54
CO .21 MAX .69
PPM 415 MAX 527

25 MPH 1610 RPM
CO2 14.60
O2 .04
PPM 12 MAX 38
CO .02 MAX .83
PPM 384 MAX 780