• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cash for Clunkers, 4.0 kill video

wow, I thought this program was for older clunkers... so far I've seen a bunch of top notch used cars.

for those of you wanting to get $4500 for those cars, bring them up here and put them at the end of my driveway.
you take a car from the south, no winters with salt/sand rusting out the floors/body and try to sell it up here, it'll be gone in no time... especially those newer cars... shit I'd give ya $6k for that Volvo easy.

seriously, I'd have no problem taking your hand me downs, if they look like those cars.

I have a 1995 XJ sport 5-spd with a near-perfect body, working AC and 190k miles. I'm actually in the market for a new car, and clunkering is my best value, even though it's in great shape. I hate to see that happen to it though...makes me sick after 3000 mile oil changes all this time. If you come down to albuquerque, it's your for $3000 :)

IMHO, this program is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. I was watching one of side videos on the news article page where they were crushing the red Mountaineer, and towards the end of the video I saw them demolish a 97+ black XJ, which appeared to be in good condition. I would've gladly paid ~$4500-$5000 for it, assuming everything was in reasonable shape. Seems like a huge waste of good vehicles. Why not be more specific on what is considered a clunker?

Another thing that seems retarded is the fact that dealerships or wrecking yards are destroying the engines in what seems to be an unsafe manner. Instead of paying a bunch of goofballs (no offense to anyone on here that does this as a job) to rev up engines all day until they seize, why not just flat-out crush the vehicle? I see these employees and individuals wearing nothing but casual clothing and no safety gear. This could result in steam burns and the like. If we are trying to clean up the environment, why are we wasting gas by running these engines at top speed until they blow up? Not to mention the mess of other chemicals coming out of the enigne such as antifreeze, the liquid silicate stuff, etc.

Freaking stupid if you ask me...

(alright, rant over)

IMHO, this program is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. I was watching one of side videos on the news article page where they were crushing the red Mountaineer, and towards the end of the video I saw them demolish a 97+ black XJ, which appeared to be in good condition. I would've gladly paid ~$4500-$5000 for it, assuming everything was in reasonable shape. Seems like a huge waste of good vehicles. Why not be more specific on what is considered a clunker?

Another thing that seems retarded is the fact that dealerships or wrecking yards are destroying the engines in what seems to be an unsafe manner. Instead of paying a bunch of goofballs (no offense to anyone on here that does this as a job) to rev up engines all day until they seize, why not just flat-out crush the vehicle? I see these employees and individuals wearing nothing but casual clothing and no safety gear. This could result in steam burns and the like. If we are trying to clean up the environment, why are we wasting gas by running these engines at top speed until they blow up? Not to mention the mess of other chemicals coming out of the enigne such as antifreeze, the liquid silicate stuff, etc.

Freaking stupid if you ask me...

(alright, rant over)

Don't forget the whole common sense thing mentioned earler, might make supporter's head explode if you try to explain that:shhh:?

Don't do it! For more important reasons than saving an XJ!

Oh- I'm against the program...but I've already paid for it, so I might as well use it. Should I turn down social security, too (in the unlikely event there's any left when I retire)?

here is the list from jalopnik of the top ten most traded clunkers

1. 1998 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
2. 1997 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
3. 1996 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
4. 1999 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
5. Jeep Grand Cherokee-:(
6. Jeep Cherokee-:(
7. 1995 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
8. 1994 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
9. 1997 Ford Windstar-:thumbup:
10. 1999 Dodge Caravan-:thumbup:

o by the way i was at a jeep dealership trying to get a job and saw an 04 tj on the choping block. it was the worst thing i have ever watched in my life

here is the list from jalopnik of the top ten most traded clunkers

1. 1998 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
2. 1997 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
3. 1996 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
4. 1999 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
5. Jeep Grand Cherokee-:(
6. Jeep Cherokee-:(
7. 1995 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
8. 1994 Ford Explorer-:thumbup:
9. 1997 Ford Windstar-:thumbup:
10. 1999 Dodge Caravan-:thumbup:

Sucks about the Caravan and Jeeps, but I'm not really crying about the Exploders, that alone should make the roads somewhat safer...............

To be totally fair, my parents have a 96 Explorer, have had the vehicle for almost 9 years. We got it with like 23,000 miles, its well over 120k now. Sure its had a few problems here and there, but its really not that bad of a vehicle. I drove it over the winter this year while I was searching for an XJ, and I think its a very comfortable vehicle. Hell, if it had a little more oomph under the hood, I wouldn't mind getting one. Theirs is the top of the line V6 model, only the V8's and Eddie Bauer versions were higher, and I really like it. Comfortable seats, power everything, moonroof, etc.

I have a 1995 XJ sport 5-spd with a near-perfect body, working AC and 190k miles. I'm actually in the market for a new car, and clunkering is my best value, even though it's in great shape. I hate to see that happen to it though...makes me sick after 3000 mile oil changes all this time. If you come down to albuquerque, it's your for $3000 :)

If I wasn't near done building my XJ I would be down there in a second.
Dang a year ago I was outside El Paso for a month... every chance I got I was looking for an XJ I could somehow toss in one of the C-cans we brought back.

So many of these cars would be snatched up quick here for no other reason then having solid floors, little to no rust, and the fact they'd be cheap.
Specially with the dollar where it is now.

Oh- I'm against the program...but I've already paid for it, so I might as well use it. Should I turn down social security, too (in the unlikely event there's any left when I retire)?
Except that the money allotted for it has already been spent, and they're taking more to continue it because it was so popular. If everyone runs out to take some of the "common" money because it's there, they will continue to expand the pool, and you'll be paying for it over and over again.

i have good news!

i talked to the guy at my local junk yard and brought up cash for clunkers and asked what happens to them after the engine is blown up. he tells me that when they get them they are allowd to sell the parts off of them except the engine for a 6 month time period after that they must crush them. so let the parts hording begin

Ok, so I guess the ultimate goal of the government is for all these "clunkers" to be off the road? That can be my only assumption if they put a time limit on parts sells, otherwise why would they put a time limit? Are they going to make the aftermarket stop selling new parts-will we not be able to buy replacement parts for our "clunkers" from Autozone,etc at some point?

Ok, so I guess the ultimate goal of the government is for all these "clunkers" to be off the road? That can be my only assumption if they put a time limit on parts sells, otherwise why would they put a time limit? Are they going to make the aftermarket stop selling new parts-will we not be able to buy replacement parts for our "clunkers" from Autozone,etc at some point?

I would have to assume that yes, one day it will come to this, it is one of the logical steps on the road we've started down. It comes with the two fold benefit of "saving the environment" and "stimulating the economy". The only bad side effect will be "immobilizing the poor" or is that a bad side effect when all you want is control?:wave1:

Back