• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carveacre / Pancake Rock CLOSED

XXXX the sunrise powerlink.

I'm sure that would be an electrifying experience... :wow:. Not the kind of thing I get a charge out of, though! :rolleyes:

Ok, I'll stop...

Let's just get Pancake/Carveacre back up and open!!

Contacted the Descanso Ranger Disctrict Office of the Clevelnad National forest to inquire as to the status of 16S03.

The women who asnwer had no idea, and put me in contact with Rich Tobin. Rich is apprently the Forest Service liason for the Sunrise Powerlink project.

I left a message.

The Ranger Disctrict main phone number is:

619-445-6235. You should be able to inquire as to the status of forest service roads at this number.

Ruch Tobin's extension is x3416.

I am trying some contacts at SDG&E. Will let you know.

Email sent to SDG&E contact:

My name is Mike xxxxxx, and I am a former SDG&E, and current Gas Company Employee.

I had a question related to Sunrise Construction, and xxxxxxxxx referred me to you.

It seems that the project has constructed a gate across Carveacre Road at the intersection of Carveacre Rd and Lyons Valley Road (21077 Lyons Valley Road).

Carveacre Road is also known as Forest Service Road 16S03, and it is a popular 4-wheel drive trail (identified as open to all highway legal vehicles by the Cleveland National Forest).

I am wondering if this gate is only in place temporarily to protect the construction site that is accessible from Carveacre road, or is the plan to keep this gate locked permanently and permanently close public access to Forest Service Road 16S03.

Thank you very much. I appreciate any information you can provide me.

SDG&E's reponse:

Great question Mike. If its USFS land, they are requesting we install gates. But I'd like to see their reasoning on this one. Let ya know.

I am still not sure if the gate is technically on USFS land. One map I found online shows the immediate entrance area as NOT on USFS land.... which I assume would make if City land... so maybe it WAS the city who reqested the gate afterall?

Thanks for the update Mike. Yeah I saw on the map you posted, and that there's a little notch in the USFS overlay that precludes the entrance to 16S03 as NOT USFS land. Then whose land is it? If it's up for grabs I'll claim jump it.

I don't know who surveyed that area as NOT USFS land, but that'd be messed up if the main entrance to forest road is on city(?) land.

Just got a call back from Rich Tobin from the USFS. He was very polite and seemed genuinely interested in helping, but did not have a ton of inforamation.

Yes, 16S03 is a USFS road.

But, the City own the first 100 yards or so of trail at the bottom.... and at the top, residences of Carveacre have blocked access as the route crosses private lands up there.

He says it was indeed the CITY who requested the gate, and they are currently refusing access across their portion of Carveacre road.

He gave me the contact of someone at the USFS that handles roads and road access issues. He said he agreed this WAS a problem that needed to be addressed, and encouraged me to contact Russ:

Russ Lajoie - 619-445-6235 x3417

I will call him tomorrow.

Last edited:
Maybe the USFS would let someone "make" a new access road. Not sure how much of the right of way the city owns along that part of the highway.

I was thinking this too. I was looking at the map and wondering what other routes can link up with the forest route that is still on forest land. I think it would take earth moving equipment to make it.

More info from my contact at SDG&E:

Mike,
We checked the area we think you're referring to. The address you gave was a little short but understand why. The area is a hiking trail as well that runs off Lyons Valley to the North. That isn't us or the project. We believe the gate was put in recently either by the City or USFS. We are checking the locks to see who they belong to.
Checking into it further I heard Carveacre residents are upset with rock crunchers driving thru and driving around their community for a long time now so the driver for putting the gate in might be them. Just a thought. I'll let ya know whose lock it is.

alright, who's crunching rocks? stop it guys, i'm serious.

if what he is saying is in fact true, very cool of them to look into it to see who's locks they are.

I still hate SDGE though....

if what he is saying is in fact true, very cool of them to look into it to see who's locks they are.

I still hate SDGE though....

hahah...

I worked at the company from 1996-1998, and again from 2001 to last May. I work for their sister company in LA now.

I certainly don't share your hate... :D

Maybe the USFS would let someone "make" a new access road. Not sure how much of the right of way the city owns along that part of the highway.

I was thinking this too. I was looking at the map and wondering what other routes can link up with the forest route that is still on forest land. I think it would take earth moving equipment to make it.

Depending on how the conversation goes with Russ tomorrow... I will mention that and see what he says.

Yesterday I took the day off from this task to do some work I actually get paid to do...

This morning, I have a new round of inquireies in to USFS (Russ Lajoie) and to SDG&E.

I will post updates when I get them.

A lot of the people who live on or near Carvacre are upset at the closing. I have not heard one complaint yet about people wheeling there. I have a bunch of friends in the area.

I hope there is something we can do to get it opened again.

Just got confirmation that the ONLY locks on the gate belong to the City.... which is consistant with the USFS stating they believed the City was behind the closing.

Looks like the 4x4 club/group already working with the city may be in the right track... although it seems (from what I have heard/read) that maybe City is holding the trail hostage, claiming they MAY think about re-opening.

Maybe, we'd get further allying with the USFS on this one?

A lot of the people who live on or near Carvacre are upset at the closing.

I would think that the closing down at the bottom is just going to cause more wheelers to start roaming around up top looking for a way in...

which I would think is exactly the opposite of what the residents of Carvacre up there would want.

Back