• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Career decisions....

Mike the union also offers that aswell you could become an operator of heavy equipment most of the newwer equipment has a/c so its like working inside. Thats aloso well payed.

I called up the office and they told me they will be accepting applications on January 9th....

It's good you're thinking about this. A career is like a tattoo, while a job is more like a party.

At the end of a "party", or string of parties, you will have little to show for it, a handful of memories and maybe a line on the next "party".

After getting a "tattoo" you will have something to show for it that you may have to live with for a long time and may be hard to change down the road.

If you wake up from a party with a tattoo, it is unlikely that you put a lot of thought into your tattoo... Will you still want that "death metal" logo in the middle of your chest when you're 50, no matter how cool it seemed when you were 20? (or should that be when you were .20? :cheers: )

bburge

Very nice analogy bburge....

Well as I was driving to San berdoo valley college today reality sunk in...There is no way in hell I will be able to afford driving out there 4 or 5 times a week.....SO, its either construction management or natural resources through College of The Desert...

Mike

LOL, i saw that coming, if your still out here in the desert? Long drive.See if C O D has night classes for you, then get a day job or day classes an blah blah. Talk later, Right now i can't offer you a job because i had 3 strokes last month so i'm not working, but i'll keep my ears open for you..

Night classess are my plan...

Well I had 2 places call me for an interview and 1 tell me they want me to start as soon as possible...

The 2 for an interview are Costco and RCR General contractors(they do new home plumbing)

and the one that wants me to start is Kuykendall grading...

Which to choose??

haha, its weird how things happen like this..

Stay away from R C R, okay... I have heard from some guys that work for them that they have some problems, thats all i will say... So go around an look for there trucks an talk to some of there guys if you know what i mean.. Talk to some of the older ones not the younger kids..RCR does alot of work in the new sun city over in indio too, HVAC..good luck, i'll keep my eyes open for you

Thanks, Scott....

Yes, they offer full benefits...

The costco here is Union, too....

They give raises for every 800 hours you work, also....

They way I see it is, though...If im going to school for construction management I should learn a few more trades...

management is good to learn, get a good job that you can COUNT on that will work with you an school.. They are out here, but you have to tell them up front on your plans... good luck costco is good to work for. plus they have a/c lol

Yeah im debating on just working for costco for the summer then try and pick up a construction job once it starts to cool down...

Well I think I just landed a job with a local land surveying company!!

Im pretty stoked on that... I will still be going to school in the fall, though...

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing. Married with 2 kids and one on the way, so the one thing I do know for sure is a vasectomy is in my near future....As far as jobs, I'm in the Manager Trainee program with Hertz and looking at my first promotion in a few months assuming my sales numbers are high enough. Its an overall good job with good pay as the promotions get higher. I'm still interested in getting into the Sheriff's dept either Riverside or San Berdo county. Or I just got a hit on my resume on Monster.com from EDI. They're the company that is contracted with the gov't for the Navy Marine Corps Intranet. So now I'm seriously considering that. I don't want to keep bouncing from job to job as we just got health coverage thru Hertz and the longest time I've spent in any one job since the Marine Corps was 10 months at Best Buy in Tucson AZ. Lasted 6 months at Big 5 in Yucca Valley and I'm going on 4 months now with Hertz in Cat City. But the possibility of being back in the Hi Desert nearer my wife's fam and where its at least a little cooler and working for the Feds again, its pretty tempting. Especially considering that I'd be working with computers and networking and such, that's good pay and opportunities for the future.

Basically I wrote all that to vent, get it out where I can read my thoughts and to say, sorry I can be of no assistance besides moral support :D

Back