• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Car Hauler Trailer

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I tow with a Lawrimore Car Hauler special. 83 x 16 with a 2' dove tail. The trailer has 2 3500 lb axles. I weighed for the first time going to Harlan this summer, 6440 loaded, and feel like I need a different trailer or different axles. Looking around the net it looks like the next axle size is 5200 lb ones. All the trailers I see are big equipment trailers made out of heavy channel. Looking for suggestions or links to something that would fit my fat pig and F150 better. I was thinking about just upgrading axles but I'd really like a slightly longer trailer too.

Welcome to the trailer world of how big of a trailer do I need.

As long as you are staying under 7k on your trailer axles, you are not killing it.

Finding trailers like your current trailer with 5200lb axles is a needle in a haystack search. You probably are better off swapping to bigger axles. Especially in terms of money. I'll bet you could sell your current axles/tires/rims and at least buy new tires and rims with what you sell them for.

My local spring shop can get me axles. I would've gone to 5200lb axles on my single place trailer if mine wasn't a low boy. Because of that, my axles have to be wider to be bigger...and I'm already at max trailer width. I'm on my third set of 3500lb axles having bent the first two sets. The last set that I bought, I got the axle tube bigger, which doesn't make the rating go up, but does make the axles stronger. This set has lasted the longest.

If it were my trailer, I'd look for 5200lb axles to swap in. See if you have a local spring or trailer shop that can get them for you.

mac 'my 2 cents for free' gyvr

Welcome to the trailer world of how big of a trailer do I need.

As long as you are staying under 7k on your trailer axles, you are not killing it.

Finding trailers like your current trailer with 5200lb axles is a needle in a haystack search. You probably are better off swapping to bigger axles. Especially in terms of money. I'll bet you could sell your current axles/tires/rims and at least buy new tires and rims with what you sell them for.

My local spring shop can get me axles. I would've gone to 5200lb axles on my single place trailer if mine wasn't a low boy. Because of that, my axles have to be wider to be bigger...and I'm already at max trailer width. I'm on my third set of 3500lb axles having bent the first two sets. The last set that I bought, I got the axle tube bigger, which doesn't make the rating go up, but does make the axles stronger. This set has lasted the longest.

If it were my trailer, I'd look for 5200lb axles to swap in. See if you have a local spring or trailer shop that can get them for you.

mac 'my 2 cents for free' gyvr

Yea that is actually kind of my thinking too. However, the fact that I would like a little bit bigger trailer is also in the mix. I probably should weigh my jeep too......

You Jeep is probably about 2k less than your trailer and jeep. My guess is the trailer is 2k.

mac '4600 lbs of pig' gyvr

How did you weigh it? Actual axle weight, or total combined weight minus what you know your truck weighs?

Because 10% tongue weight would take another ~650# off the trailer axles.

So your 7000# axles are only seeing 5800 of it.

How did you weigh it? Actual axle weight, or total combined weight minus what you know your truck weighs?

Because 10% tongue weight would take another ~650# off the trailer axles.

So your 7000# axles are only seeing 5800 of it.

Cat Certified scales. Truck was on the truck scale trailer was on the trailer side.

Truck was 7640 Trailer was 6440

Here is a better shot of it once we started unloading....

9894d95b4620fa8347a546b1fb6f7a29.jpg

Your trailer numbers aren't crazy.

aa44fd35954ef226dadc01aceac2bb4a.jpg

I do have a golf cart and wood on mine too.

mac 'no nuns in buses have died' gyvr

if you are under the weight rating you are fine, if you want a bigger trailer than do it, but it looks like you are maximizing the potential of the one you have.

At those numbers I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I'm usually about 7300 on my 7000 pound trailer, and it does not concern me in the least.

Very well then. I guess I'll stop being so paranoid about it.... Heading to TN and the Fall Flog! Thanks!

This guy built a couple trailers...

Click me

mac 'just the way you'd want to build them' gyvr

Those are nice. I wish I could pull that off.

I spent $2100 on mine and had a steel deck put on.

I went to load range e tires because I was concerned about the ratings of the stock 225/75's. I think that's why a lot of folks shred trailer tires carrying heavy jeeps around. Other than that I don't worry much about the rest of it.

Back