• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cant Get Pilot Bearing Out!!! Need Help Asap!!!

trekfuel80

NAXJA Forum User
okay im replacing my clutch assembly on my 94 4.0 manuel ax-15. which is completely disassembled in my driveway, i have the tranny dropped and pressure plate and fly wheel off. but i CANT GET THE PILOT BEARING OUT!!! ive tried packing it with lube and pushing it out but it will not budge. ive tried dowels and other things. nothing works. please help!!! what should i do!!!

There are two different types of bearings, sintered oiled bronze or roller bearing. What type do you have?

im not so sure about that. the bearing is in the center of the crank, and it has needles on the inside. i rented a pilot bearing puller today, and it snapped. any ideas?

did you try packing the pilot bearing with grease then taking a dowel the size of the pilot bearing and putting it in the hole and hitting it hard with a hammer? grease will goes pretty much everywhere but usually gets the bearing out... if that doesnt work you may have to melt it out good luck hope something works

Normally, I've been able to use a big screw driver and pry it out. Sometimes I had to rap it in a bit to get it to break free first.

The other trick is to use a tap that is big enough to screw into the bearing. Screw it in and when it bottoms in the hole, it forces the bearing out.

I had one of those that wouldn't budge with grease. I used the same drift and packed wet toilet paper behind the bearing instead of grease, eventually it came out. Seems like it takes half a roll. :)

broevil said:
did you try packing the pilot bearing with grease then taking a dowel the size of the pilot bearing and putting it in the hole and hitting it hard with a hammer? grease will goes pretty much everywhere but usually gets the bearing out... if that doesnt work you may have to melt it out good luck hope something works

HAHA I did the same thing on my YJ. Grease went everywhere, including all over my glasses. If I hadn't been wearing them it would've greased my eyeballs good. Safety glasses are cheap, emergency rooms aren't.

scottsxj said:
i had the same prob. i just used a slide hammer to get it out, easy as pie

yeah, i always just rented the bearing puller which is just a slide hammer with a bunch of attachments and stuff. you pick it up at the parts house when you go get the bearings and you take it back when you're testing out the new bearings.

Get the bearing puller with the slide hammer. Hole the end of teh hammer up with pliers, not your hand. I had to put hte Jeep back together then drive myself to the hospital for the ex-rays and cast.

Matt

i tried the grease trick, i think im gonna go get the slide hammer. the puller snapped on me. im also gonna try the tap, hopefully something will work. god this blows. and im working in the rain. georgia sucks.

ill let yo know how it goes.

Save a tree, use a spotted owl :laugh3:

okay i broke a second bearing puller and decided to try the grease trick one more time. and it worked. sorta. the bearing that is on the outside of the pilot bearing also came out. its alittle bigger (in width) than a half dollar. should this have happened? and when i put it back in should i grease it up?

Use a little anti-sezze just a dab on you finger is more than enough. Put it in side the crank and then install the pilot bearing/bushig pending on what you've got

Back