• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cant find a specific roof rack for XJ

TwistedXT

NAXJA Forum User
once upon a time there was a roof rack for the XJ that had "Sliders" down the drip rails ... cant find it to save my life. been lookin for ike 4 hours.. no luck.

ideas?

im going to go into my den and dig through any old cataloges i can find to see if i can find it or not. I thought it was in a quadratec cat but no go on the recent one.

:paperwork

Top Hat rack

You will just bend the rails where the rack mounts if you hit hard and they need to extend further back and forward to really do some protecting

You could also be thinking about the MattRack, did it have light tabs about halfway down the A Pillars?

If so it's been out of production for two or three years now.

Top Hat rack

You will just bend the rails where the rack mounts if you hit hard and they need to extend further back and forward to really do some protecting

You guys rock!

i know they are pretty much worthless , but i think the mounts themselves are stronger then the confers.. and the rails look cooler..

34429-lg.jpg

On a related note, I was remembering a while back about someone who made a "top hat" rack. It was really strong, had multiple tie ins and stuff to the top, or maybe a cage. (it was not a MattRack).

I remember the pictures being taken inside of a garage, does anyone have any pictures this or know what I'm talking about?

On a related note, I was remembering a while back about someone who made a "top hat" rack. It was really strong, had multiple tie ins and stuff to the top, or maybe a cage. (it was not a MattRack).

I remember the pictures being taken inside of a garage, does anyone have any pictures this or know what I'm talking about?

Are you talking of the original Hybrid cages that were made by a few NWC members a year or so ago? There have been a few more built by then, here's the one built by a shop for my jeep:

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

NAXJWALKER_051.jpg

NAXJWALKER_091.jpg

BTW the top hat racks are definitely not worthless. I know they have saved at least 1 jeep in the NWC during a flop, and have prevented multiple windows from being broken, and doors being destroyed by trees around here.

One of my friends bent his up, but he also wheels alot harder then the average XJ owner.

-Alex

The problem I have seen locally with the top hat is when guys first get them they tend to wheel a little harder through the trees due to a false sense of security. A solid hit on the rails and the mounts will bend the gutters. If you have ever had that gutter trim off of an XJ you will see that there is not much beef there and they just will not take much. If the load was spread out across the gutter instead of just 3 locations and also to the factory rack rail it would be better. I plan on building something, just haven't figured it out yet.

Ba-Riedo, I love your set-up, I want to do the same. Its done right.

Didn't farmermatt make a few racks with sliders about 4 or so years ago or was it someone else.

Are you talking of the original Hybrid cages that were made by a few NWC members a year or so ago? There have been a few more built by then, here's the one built by a shop for my jeep
Yep, that looks to be pretty much what I remember. I thought I remembered it being by a NWC guy. Thanks. And of course, great looking Jeep. Ever had to use it?

Back