• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Canadian Military Spending

Beej

NAXJA Forum User
Our new conservative government just announced today 8 billion spent to upgrade military equipment out of a total 17 billion dollar infusion into the Canadian military at all levels.

I've seen lots of military-types on this site. What do you think of the Canadian military and what do you think this spending could do?

origins2004midsplane29dr.jpg

peashooter1es.jpg

Chero-King said:
I dont care what they do with it, as long as they're finally getting money.

and as long as its spent effectively...one of my employees used to be a corporal, and he was getting 30k/yr. IMO thats a joke for someone who is supposed to put their life on the line. bump up salaries and incentives and more people might be interested.

Beej said:
What do you think of the Canadian military and what do you think this spending could do?

Plug holes in the dykes is about it.

Little birdie tells me the rev of the C-130 we are buying is the wrong variant. Main wing air foil is designed for high efficiency cruise when in civie usage. Sucks for landing dirty on crap airfields. The last UK buy was burned by this.

The resupply ships will be built in Canada. Good! Better canuck junk than refit UK junk!

C-5s. Air lift goodness. Trying to think what we'll stick in them. Crates of MREs and the DART oversized water purification system? Maybe parts for the 40-something year old C-130s or the 20-something year old F-18s.

Can't wait for the G-Wagens to hit Crown Assets Disposal.

Why would anyone join the service these days? At least in the 50-60s it was to escape abject poverty and/or to get an opportunity to better yourself. Now with the support infrastructure in place that we have today (thankfully) that is no longer a big reason.

If the government/population doesn't take the military seriously why should anyone risk their lives running the "antiques road show" that the Canadian military has been turned into?

Living on the back of a giant gives us the privilege of ignoring the barbarians at the gate I guess. At least on the comms side we seem to be doing something.

Then there's those that think we are some kind of altruistic beacon for peace keeping and what not. Take the blinders off and see what is really happening. It takes gear and people to do that stuff - gear and people we don't have. Arguably mandate, credibility and guts as well. Darfur? Sure, send our twenty somethings to slaughter and/or make them as ineffective as possible. Rwanda anyone?

Love him or hate him, at least Harper isn't running the country like a 905 area code (ie. Toronto suburbia-centric) NDP lackey. Good riddance to Mr Dithers; too bad JC didn't get caught with his hand in the jar. Gagliano is the paid up fall guy on that front. I'm the type to not generally vote along party lines consistently. Bitter maybe?

Canada will never be a military superpower and thank goodness for that. But for <insert deity here>'s sake, let's do what we need to do and do it properly. We've been REALLY lucky so far.

MuddinJeeper said:
and as long as its spent effectively...one of my employees used to be a corporal, and he was getting 30k/yr. IMO thats a joke for someone who is supposed to put their life on the line. bump up salaries and incentives and more people might be interested.

I never really knew what they were paid but thats ridiculous, people like that should'nt be making the same salary as a guy in wal-mart makes.

well when I joined in 91, I was making $14,400 a year, as a Cpl was making a bit over $19,000, with the budget the Forces had they did alot, know things are starting to get alot better.................feeling like re-enlisting.

Just a side bar, the German military is also gearing up. They are spending big and actively recruiting for expeditionary forces.
It makes you really wonder, when the liberal democracies start gearing up, what is actually going on and just what heck are they affraid of.
Just reading between the lines a bit and wondering.
Germans were downsizing for years and have all of a sudden done a 180.

8Mud said:
Just a side bar, the German military is also gearing up. They are spending big and actively recruiting for expeditionary forces.
It makes you really wonder, when the liberal democracies start gearing up, what is actually going on and just what heck are they affraid of.
Just reading between the lines a bit and wondering.
Germans were downsizing for years and have all of a sudden done a 180.

considering how easily they took france last time...Maybe they want beach front property.

Their academy is in kingston, right over the border from watertown ny. Seems like a nice place, their military museum is in Ottowa, been there a few times, interesting outlook they have of WWII...
We hosted a canadian sub, the HMCS Rainbow, ex-navy WWII fleet boat when I was out of pearl harbor and we were doing a subex, they were there to observe and all went well till one of our fast attacks set the depth wrong on a trainer M37 and wacked the subs conning tower, damn fish ended up on a rather famous beach, luckily there was a army post between the hotels and thats all I'm saying, it was a major foopaw :D The canadians took it well though we almost went broke buying them drinks at the clubs...
Their stuff is kind of old, to be buying all these fancy aircraft seems a waste of money to transport troops that are somewhat classicly equipped but I guess they will keep the kegs of powder and patches dry for the small arms...however they will have to make special provisions for the wooden cassions and horses...
[it's all in fun :D :D :D] but on a serious note, untill you can take care of families and pay a decent wage you won't get the total quality a fighting force needs..

8Mud.

What are the western countries gearing up for?

Look around. 1% of 1.5 billion is 15 million. Western Europe indiginous birth rates are falling dramatically as are Russian indig. birth rates. Europe, as it was last time around, will be the front line of fighting the establishment of caliphate.

John

Beej said:
Our new conservative government just announced today 8 billion spent to upgrade military equipment out of a total 17 billion dollar infusion into the Canadian military at all levels.

I've seen lots of military-types on this site. What do you think of the Canadian military and what do you think this spending could do?
served with some canadian navy folks in viet nam they were a class act they were crewing some of our pbr's

Beej said:

Is that the cost of a new hats for the mounties? :D

Kejtar said:
Is that the cost of a new hats for the mounties? :D

It costs lots of money to have standard issue stetsons, turbans, hijabs, etc.

Back