• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you out diagnose the dealer? Won't start...

It's not that the switch gets out of adjustment, it's that the contacts inside of the switch are worn out, or just covered in old grease and not making contact. It's an easy fix if you do it youself. if you have any more questions PM me.

The shock bolts won't be covered. There has to be a failed part and
the failed part needs to be a covered part, so get out the PB blaster
and blast away.

I've been PB blasting for about 2 weeks, they don't look so hot, maybe if I break them in the parking lot before I go to check in....That would be East Hills Jeep, Manhasset, NY

I don't think they would expect me to drive the vehicle without them.....it is a drivetrane warranty and they replaced my axle before...I don't want to drill and retap and have to cut the floor...

You need to go in there and make a little noise. Demand to speak with the service manager. This is some really basic stuff to diagnose, they must have their newest lube rack graduate working on it. Make a small scene and demand someone who knows what they're doing gets the RO.
It seems to get results where I work. :)

OhI know how to yell at them:firedevil ...my alarm key fobs stopped working, took it in and they made me 3 new ones, only problem, the three were for the OEM keyless entry system not the alarm. They thought they were going to charge me another $250 for another 3 key fobs (the right ones). I marched into the showroom and started yelling at the guy who sold me the Jeep. Got things done really fast, even got the service manager and the service tech to beg forgiveness. I'll go make a scene at my home dealership, the one here where I am at school is the one who failed to catch this issue.

Replacing the axle would have nothing to do with your upper shock mounts.
I'm sure they wouldn't expect you to drive without them but that doesn't
mean the warrenty will pay for the repair. Drivetrane usually means engine
, trans, diffs. It usually excludes things like shocks, ac ,tires, brakes,
radios and key fobs. They might be covered by the rust warranty.
And I'd like to 2nd what JJacobs said, just make sure your yelling at the
right guy. ( That would be the service manager.....he gets paid for that,
the techs don't)

We have a bunch of guys who wear blue shirts and don't actually work on the vehicles, everyone yells at them, seems to accomplish things... how much could they possibly charge me for 4 bolts?

The best was when I was 1500 miles into the used XJ and the brakes went, took it back and they blamed me for being too hard and warping the rotors, ok, $700 later....replaced the rotors pads, whole works...1000miles later problems return, turns out they machined the rotors and left my old pads on, worn down to the metal and it warped the pads again....what a waste...

Last edited:
All kinds of weird stuff goes on at the dealer- not really related to xj's but I had a guy decline a trans repair after I tore it down. Service writer told me to put the trans core back together so I threw out all the smoked consumables- frictions, steels, bands and put the rest back together. The guy came back pissed that the other trans shop sold him new clutch packs "since I threw the old ones out". My bonehead manager is buying him new frictions and steels even though the other shop finished the job.

The GF's mother took in her Volvo for a blown headlight and free oil change, $500 later...apparently the anit roll bar end links were shot~~$100 warranty deductable~~transmission fluid change ($94), some seal ($0.95) a "neutral control" (whatever the hell that is $38) and $168.00 for 1.5 hours of labor (to change the fluid? anyone know what a neutral control is)....so the guy tells her that since one headligh was blown the other one would blow soon too even though it was only a month old, because the burned out bulb draws power away from the good bulb and damages it...yeah ok, sure.... So back to my thread...the NSS is cheaper than my deductable ($100) so I'll figure it out on my own when the lift and driveline are all taken care of...

Back