• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can you:instal two add-a-leafs?

ShipleyCSA

NAXJA Forum User
This question might seem a little outlandish, but I just had to ask.
My add-a-leaf (installed several yrs. back on my 90' XJ) is not holding-up the way it use to(sits lower now), and just for thoughts, could I add an additional leaf (add-a-leaf) to the rear spring packs to increase my rear ride height?
Just wondering what y'll input was. Thanks,
-john

Sure you can. Add as many as you want. Don't know that its the best idea though. A couple of buddies have had a long leaf and a shorty in their packs.
Rides kind of rough though.
Might want to consider buying new leafs.

My Skyjacker AAL finally started to sag on me after 4 years when I started adding extra weight onto the rear, so I put in another stock main and it brought it back up. I don't notice any difference in ride on the road, but I no longer get the same flex in the rear while off-road that I got before. I can't get it into a negative arch anymore so I don't get as much stuff and my suspension is no longer balanced, the front does all the flexing.

Go to the pick and pull and look for 2.5" wide leafs any length from any vehicle even the main leaf. The thinner the better to a certain extent. Cut them to the length you need and install. Trial and error to the height you want. Just make sure they go from longest to shortest from top to bottom.

HTH

Yeah, you can use two add-a-leafs, but the ride is going to suck. I agree with just using another stock (out of something) 2.5" wide leaf spring. Besides being stiffer than a normal spring, add-a-leafs don't have plastic spring pads so the friction as well as the spring rate is increased contributing to a harsh ride. Another leaf out of something will have the plastic pads that are important.

HodgePodge said:
You mean the 2.5 inch wide piece of 1/4 inch thick arched non-flexing steel they call an aal. (n)
How many other brands of AAL do you know of that last for 4 years at the stated height and will still give enough flex to go into a negative arch each time you off-road? It has exceeded my expectations. :thumbup:

I run a short and a long add-a-leaf Rancho FSJ ones and have done so for 5 1/2 years and still no sag and get good travel so long as the trailer is on the back! But still 90% of the time it is when offroading in the Outback. I did remove the third stock leaf from the top and made it ride much better. Is perfect when towing but a little hard when not.

Just remember the longer the leaf the more flexibility it has AND smoother ride AND more load capacity ( less sagging). If you used 2 long leaves as AALs you;d be better off than 2 short or one long and one short.

Back