• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can xj's take a beatin?

wake up people, there's a reason why the fuel injected amc inline 6 redlines at 5200...it was not meant for high rpm's. Shouldn't that answer your question.

true dat. back in the day when local stock car tracks still had a class for straight 6 powered cars, rpms is what killed em. many guys i knew that ran them would put the limiter a few hundred below what the engine specs said they could run and often get a whole season out of them.

other guys i knew would let it turn as far as it could and those engines saw very short service life.

straight sixes just aren`t meant to turn lotsa rpms. too much flexn and stuff going on inside there.

there is NOTHING that sounds like a pack of 20 straight 6 powered race cars taking the green coming out of turn 4 !!

Short answer, Yes. BIGSLVRXJ drove his to Attica, IN from Des Moines, IA which is like 10 hours and wheeled the hell out of it and drove it home.

I'm also a BMW guy. Welcome to the XJs!

Change your fluids and scream her!

Nothng like the sound of a s52b30 chipped and cam'd at 7500 RPM. It's like driving an F1 car.....god I love the E36 ///M's.
I'm known as EDIRTYSICKS over on bimmerforums.com

Again, welcome!

MY BABY:
IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0356-1.jpg

Photo_010508_004-1.jpg

and her sister:
IMG_1347.jpg

Now there's something I don't miss doing...

The ramps, I mean. Mine haven't been used in about a year now :D Lie down next to Jeep, roll over, start wrenching.

96xj, very nice car, that and my cousin's 535i would be a good run i think, although honestly i feel the e34 would pull just due to the little more displacement but the weight might counter act that, but it would be good, i love e36 m3's, i want a 4 door!

if i ever get a actual car again i want a 80's bmw 325 ix 2 door and swap a 535 engine into it

So since the bmw guys seem to have taken over this thread... any words of wisdom? I have been shopping around for a new car, I want to sell my '08 Altima and buy something a bit more fun and a bit less expensive. Maybe even straight up pay something off. I have been jumping between another newer XJ and another (rwd or awd) car.

A '95 M3 with 89k miles for $8500 caught my eye. Is there anything to look out for with the car if I do end up going to look at it? Or any advice to stay away from the year or anything?

if i ever get a actual car again i want a 80's bmw 325 ix 2 door and swap a 535 engine into it

I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but i just don't know if it would be possible, the m30 uses a specific transmission that was not offered in and awd configuration and it is not the same as the m50 from a 325. If you could make an adapter some how it would be awesome, but then you have to worry about if the drive train can take the abuse, even the rear diff is smaller in the 3 series

96xj_4.0 thats a very nice m3 you got there. Totally jealous. I have an 95 530i (e34) which is my baby. Lately its been giving me problems so i'm working on it. The xj has been a trooper and is filling the DD status. The mangeraaad a BMW is an excellent car for a fun factor however a bit less expensive? no sorry, a bmw is usually never cheap. I have dumped loads of money into money and its still not perfect, and M-cars in general are very very costly if anything happens.

a couple pic of my e34 for gigs (not the best pics):

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

thanks for the suggestions about my XJ Guys!

96xj, very nice car, that and my cousin's 535i would be a good run i think, although honestly i feel the e34 would pull just due to the little more displacement but the weight might counter act that, but it would be good, i love e36 m3's, i want a 4 door!
Thanks man!

Nah, my m3 consistantly beat 540i's.
a s50 m3 into it would be easier. Really.
So since the bmw guys seem to have taken over this thread... any words of wisdom? I have been shopping around for a new car, I want to sell my '08 Altima and buy something a bit more fun and a bit less expensive. Maybe even straight up pay something off. I have been jumping between another newer XJ and another (rwd or awd) car.

A '95 M3 with 89k miles for $8500 caught my eye. Is there anything to look out for with the car if I do end up going to look at it? Or any advice to stay away from the year or anything?
get a 97 or later. My 95 m3 and 97 m3 were different worlds. Creature comforts ( all digital, obd2, and still stomp codes). Plus greater displacement, more torque, and upgraded cooling system...list goes on.
I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but i just don't know if it would be possible, the m30 uses a specific transmission that was not offered in and awd configuration and it is not the same as the m50 from a 325. If you could make an adapter some how it would be awesome, but then you have to worry about if the drive train can take the abuse, even the rear diff is smaller in the 3 series
totally possible using 3 series Ti rear subframe/diff/tranny I believe.

There are many many swapped 80s e30s out there.
Some have the m50 325 motor, some have the s series m 4cyl, but most have s50/s52 conversions ( that I have seen).

Regarding the bmw being expensive to maintain, that may be so but for a 2008.... my altima hasn't been that cheap either.. it's been giving me too many problems and I am out of the bumper to bumper warranty so I get to do the fixes myself

get a 97 or later. My 95 m3 and 97 m3 were different worlds. Creature comforts ( all digital, obd2, and still stomp codes). Plus greater displacement, more torque, and upgraded cooling system...list goes on.
totally possible using 3 series Ti rear subframe/diff/tranny I believe.
Ah, alright. Any advice between coupe and sedan? I did see one sedan that was a 98 IIRC. I figured I would go with a slightly older coupe but if the newer sedan would be better then I'm all for it. :thumbup:

Coupe and sedan are identical cars. Same chassis, same wheelbase, weight, and suspension....different interior of course/ and body

If you don't carry people in the car, ge a 2 door.

I have an altima coupe right now. I am torn, love the coupe and don't carry people often.... but the sedan may be nice to have. Esp since thats the only 97+ I can find in my price range (down side is that it has 200k+ miles so it's looking like a no-go anyway).

I just wasn't sure if the sedan was a bit heavier or anything. Thanks.

It's all your fault skyline--you come join the jeep club and talk bimmer ish and every thread is gonna end up in off topic(I'll fan the flame every time:). Once you get to know the Jeep, you'll realize that it'll outlast and take the beating better than the bmw will.

Last edited:

If you want less expensive, a 95 M3 may do it up front, but BMW parts ain't exactly cheap...

I have an altima coupe right now. I am torn, love the coupe and don't carry people often.... but the sedan may be nice to have. Esp since thats the only 97+ I can find in my price range (down side is that it has 200k+ miles so it's looking like a no-go anyway).

I just wasn't sure if the sedan was a bit heavier or anything. Thanks.

Miles mean nothing to Bavarians...;)

My arctic silbermetallic ( yes it's spelled right) m3 won Best Kept e36 DD in 2008 bimmerfest with 147k....

...it has many more miles now and still looks new.

Shoot, TRUE STORY:

I purchased that m3 sight unseen 1800 miles away in Houston and drove it to socal with no worries. :)

And gradon, there is not a better built more reliable car then a pre-2005 BMW. IMO

Regarding the bmw being expensive to maintain, that may be so but for a 2008.... my altima hasn't been that cheap either.. it's been giving me too many problems and I am out of the bumper to bumper warranty so I get to do the fixes myself

Ah, alright. Any advice between coupe and sedan? I did see one sedan that was a 98 IIRC. I figured I would go with a slightly older coupe but if the newer sedan would be better then I'm all for it. :thumbup:
You may be paying for repairs right now, but I'd imagine that the M3 would be getting repairs at least as often as the Altima and the parts would be more expensive each time.

Back