• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can I lfit 4 -5 inches without drive train modification

I think I have figured out what may be causing such a stir ...

When you lift your Jeep, you greatly extend the driveline angles by lifting the transmission/transfer case in relation to your axles.

You are effectively NEGATING this effect when you put in a transfer case drop of 1 or 2 inches, etc.

So I think in order to be clear .. I have a 3.5 inch, NO SYE and NO VIBES WHATSOEVER ... but and it's a BIG BUT .. I have a 1.5" tcase drop.

So ... can you lift 3.5 WITHOUT an SYE on a 2000? YES. But the question should more properly phrased, can you lift a Cherokee X inches WITHOUT an SYE AND WITHOUT a tcase drop or other means to straighten out your angles.

yes you can, 4" on my 99 w/ no sye or drop

Now that's the kind of info I like! No SYE and No TC drop! :)

My next question would be, do you flex the suspension alot off-road? Isn't that where you will run into too-short-shaft issues and possibly drop out?

Im ~4.5 all around, 1" drop, little to no vibes on a 98 4 door 8.25 rear. I drove it with no drop and got pretty decent vibes, but I knew I would due to the driveline angles. I went with 3/4" square cause thats what I had laying around and reduced the vibes significantly. I picked up some 1" shortly after and took care of vibes almost completely. I am close to the max limits on the u-joint operating angles though.

I could measure, but the slip yoke didnt move much.

Im a firm believer that if you understand driveline angles and phasing, you can correct alot of driveline issues with shims and/or tcase drop. I dont believe in ridiculous use of drops and shims though.

I will be collecting the parts for the RE hack and tap/ front driveshaft SYE setup eventually. I want the clearance and added strength/ reliablity associated with it. Plus easier trail fix if I blow the rear shaft.

my .02

HAPYMUDY said:
Now that's the kind of info I like! No SYE and No TC drop! :)

My next question would be, do you flex the suspension alot off-road? Isn't that where you will run into too-short-shaft issues and possibly drop out?
take it offroad and give it hell all the time. i have a sye to put on it but its not needed and i'll do it when i have time but its been sitting on my shelf for a couple months, its defiently not top priority.

dellstopjeep said:
eagle is right, there are people who lift there newer xj's 2 inches and need them, and i dont know anyone who lifts there xj an inch unless its for towing purposes so that is pretty much exlcuded.

I have a 1" Daystar lift on my '97 to help clear 30"s and have zero vibes. I am surprised to hear that anyone would have vibes with a 1", especially on the Up Country coming from the factory (Eagle). But for all intesive purposes it seems to be luck of the draw for any lift on any year. Respectively the higher you go the higher the chance of problems, duh. My $.02

Ramsey said:
take it offroad and give it hell all the time. i have a sye to put on it but its not needed and i'll do it when i have time but its been sitting on my shelf for a couple months, its defiently not top priority.

I put a Tcase drop in automatically when lifting ... I'll have to experiment without it. ;)

I fixed the vibe in my XJ lifted 3" with a 4 degree shim. I also upgraded the center pins from stock to 3/8 inch. Hopefully this will help down the road. My next question is do you really need a rear stabilizer?

Adam

You guys running the 3"+ lifts with no SYE, what rear axles to you have? The D35 (and the D35C) have a shorter pinion, therefore longer DS and will have less severe an angle on the DS.

My 93 with a 8.25 rear had horrible binding at the slip yoke from bad angles. I ran a TC drop and then eventually a set of 4* shims and removed the TC drop. When I bumped up to a little over 4" I had the binding again and put the TC drop back on.

If the angles are not close to stock, the slip yoke will not move as freely on the output shaft and will actually put more strain on the bearing. You may not "feel" any vibes until the bearing wears out, then there'll be all kinds of vibes.

I have been running mine with the drop and shims for awhile now, but mine is not a dd. A SYE is cheap insurance (okay, maybe not cheap) for your TC.

lapaul said:
Can I get away with 4 inch lift with stock drive train. Or do I need to put in SYE eliminator and double cardan drive shaft?. What about with 5 inch lift?

What's the experience here?

My experience... my XJ is my DD. It is a '99 w/ 185K miles. I just started playing with the suspension this past winter with 1 3/4" spacers in front and a RE full length AAL in the rear. It sits at about 19.5" all around.

With the AAL alone, bad vibes. 2 1/2* shims, better. 1" T-case drop, better yet, but not 100% perfect. I will be putting on an SYE because I want reliability and safety. Also, the SYE will allow me to go bigger in the future.

I guess the answer is "can" you? sure... Should you? mmmm... maybe....

Back