• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can i drive with a leak in the gas tank????

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
my gas tank is leaking and i would like to drive it till it is empty to make the removal and replacement easier, is this safe?? will i be ok i have about 2/3rds of a tank left?

thanks

I would say no. Not to mention the gas is very flamable, it makes for a slick surface for your rear tires and fellow drivers. Pump the tank dry and put the gas into another vehicle.

I had a Pathfinder a few years back that I drove with a leaking tank for about a month. Was it safe? Probably not. It leaked about a drop a minute. On asphalt, the gas evaporated before it could form a puddle. Never parked it in a garage when leaking. Takes relatively high temps to ignite gasoline. A cigarette will not do it like you see in movies. The glowing red head just isn't hot enough. Don't think an exhaust pipe comes anywhere near hot enough to ignite gas. So, Should you drive with a leak? No. Would I do it? Probably.

5bucks said:
Takes relatively high temps to ignite gasoline. A cigarette will not do it like you see in movies. The glowing red head just isn't hot enough. Don't think an exhaust pipe comes anywhere near hot enough to ignite gas. So, Should you drive with a leak? No. Would I do it? Probably.

Don't believe it. I had a friend's S-10 Blazer (ironic) burn to the ground while whelling las weekend from a leaky fuel line over the exhaust.:shocked: :gonnablow

5bucks said:
I had a Pathfinder a few years back that I drove with a leaking tank for about a month. Was it safe? Probably not. It leaked about a drop a minute. On asphalt, the gas evaporated before it could form a puddle. Never parked it in a garage when leaking. Takes relatively high temps to ignite gasoline. A cigarette will not do it like you see in movies. The glowing red head just isn't hot enough. Don't think an exhaust pipe comes anywhere near hot enough to ignite gas. So, Should you drive with a leak? No. Would I do it? Probably.

BUT If there is a wall of vapors under the truck and some one discard as cigarette........it could go boom!!!!!!!!!! Gas is NOT flammable but the vapors sure are!
Don't chance it! :explosion

Flash.

blazinjames said:
my gas tank is leaking and i would like to drive it till it is empty to make the removal and replacement easier, is this safe?? will i be ok i have about 2/3rds of a tank left?

thanks

I dont think this can be answered with a black or white, yes or no. I think it depends on how much its leaking and from where and how long have you already been driving it like it is. I dont think a drip from the bottom every minute or so will do any harm but if its a steady stream, park it.

Just make sure to take pictures of the conflagration. You know how we all like pics.

I feel your pain. We have my son's girlfriend's YJ out back right now with a leak somewhere. Gonna' try to find it this weekend if the weather holds.

The easy way to drain a tank you don't want any more is to slide a bucket under it and puncture the bottom with an ice pick. If you need to change buckets, slide the ice pick back in for a minute.

Just another thought on draining gas on a some fuel injected vehicles (OBDI). You can disconnect the gas return hose on the fuel rail, attach a long hose, start the truck and let it idle. Excess fuel will be pumped out the hose into another container.

I don't believe OBD II fuel rails have a fuel return, so this wouldn't work on 96+ vehicles.

I've driven my XJ with a very minor leak at the fuel pump gasket. The only reason I did this was I was on the road when I discovred the leak. As the fuel was dumping to the driver side (non-exhaust side), I choose to drive it home. Once home I applied the above concept to empty the tank.

Certainly care and caution is extremely important when dealing with exposive fuels.:flame:

5bucks said:
Don't know where you got that idea. All it takes is a single little spark (not even heat) to ignite the gas/ oxygen vapors and:flame:. :twak:
Low humidity really helps get things :flame: too.

Granted, it is hard to burn or ignite liquid gasoline especially with out oxygen.

It is the vapors that are dangerous, and a gas leak leads to gas vapors in air (containing oxygen)!!!!

Of course mixing liquid hydrogen peroxide at room temperature with liquid gasoline might do the trick. Don't even need heat or a spark then, just a good rocket engine and launch pad.:cool:

And yes the exhaust pipe will ignite it. I think it is called autoigniton temperature.

two thoughts...
1. i'd be carefull with the ice pick idea. i've seen a gas can go up from bumping metal to metal creating a spark.
2. isn't soap supposed to work as a temporary patch for small holes? never tried it myself.

where is myth busters when u need em' ?

if its fuel injected jus simply unhook the line going to the filter lead it too a bucket and turn the key the fuel pump will drain it down to a low enough point.

Dont chance it! Get some friends a couple of Jacks and some smarts about it and you'll be ok

blazinjames said:
ya im not going to bother driving it, its a pretty big leak and its on the exaust side.

im guess i will siphion the gas out or something..

thanks for all the help
Had a bright idea! Stick a pan under the leak and let it drain itself! LOL. You could use a spark proof alluminum tool to open up and widen the leak, hole, if it is accesable. Removing the gas cap might help it drain faster too.

Back