• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can HO injectors be used as a RENIX replacement?

veedubshafer

NAXJA Forum User
I have some leaky injectors on my '89 and was wondering if the HO injectors will work OK in it. I would just grab some RENIX ones from the JY but they are the 2 piece prone to leaking ones that I already have. Thanks for looking.

I run the Renix system on a 93 4.0. I have the HO injectors on it, and it works. I believe the engine runs rich though. I have never confirmed this, but I'm pretty sure it does. I would assume that the rich condition is related to either the injectors or the HO pressure regulator. So, they will work electronically, but probably differ in specs. Someone will surely know for sure.

The HO injectors have a higher flow rate. Don't remember the exact numbers, but if I think the HO are 21 and the Renix are 19. You can look it up online.

I put the injectors from a 98 HO into the 87 RENIX that my son now drives.It appears to run a little rich,but otherwise starts and runs fine for an 87.
That was done several years ago.
Wayne

As long as the electrical plugs are the same, and the ends physically fit and seal, you should be fine.

Yes, the HO injectors are a bit higher-rated for flow (about 10%, as mentioned,) and your fuel economy may suffer a bit, but the HEGO feedback loop should help trim that down. An adjustable supply for your MAP sensor may help with the rest - but that should only be tuned when you can read the exhaust yourself (using a wideband HEGO air/fuel monitor. You can "guesstimate" it - but it's easy to run it lean instead - and that can cause more damage than running rich.)

As long as the electrical plugs are the same, and the ends physically fit and seal, you should be fine.

Yes, the HO injectors are a bit higher-rated for flow (about 10%, as mentioned,) and your fuel economy may suffer a bit, but the HEGO feedback loop should help trim that down. An adjustable supply for your MAP sensor may help with the rest - but that should only be tuned when you can read the exhaust yourself (using a wideband HEGO air/fuel monitor. You can "guesstimate" it - but it's easy to run it lean instead - and that can cause more damage than running rich.)

WOO HOO, I love when the voice of wisdom (AKA 5-90) answers my questions. Thanks, from a fellow RENIX lover.

The injectors used on Renix and 91-95 HO models are 19 lb. injectors. In 96 and newer models, they are 24 lb. injectors.

Personally, I would go get some 19 lb. injectors.

I have some leaky injectors on my '89 and was wondering if the HO injectors will work OK in it. I would just grab some RENIX ones from the JY but they are the 2 piece prone to leaking ones that I already have. Thanks for looking.

The injectors in my 1990 Wagoneer were leaking so I bought a set of 5.0 Mustang injectors for the 1995 and put the '95 injectors in the '90. So far no problems.

The injectors in my 1990 Wagoneer were leaking so I bought a set of 5.0 Mustang injectors for the 1995 and put the '95 injectors in the '90. So far no problems.

Kinda roundabout, wasn't it? Why not just put the Mustang squirters into your RENIX Waggy and call it good? You probably got the four-hole Mustang jobs, and that would have helped with your RENIX...

Upside - at least you did get rid of the damned leak. I'm just curious about why you went the long way around to do it (I'm fairly sure there's something I don't know yet.)

Jon at the time I wasn't sure I was going to keep the waggy, so I used it as an excuse to upgrade my injectors....

The scenario; showed the wife the leaking injectors, got funds released, purchased 5Omotorsports injectors, installed them in the other Jeep, put the "old" injectors in waggy, problem solved :anon:

Don't worry, V-dub owners seem overly sensitive. He'll find this isn't that kind of forum.

I am also using the 5.0 Mustang injectors with good results.

Oh I get 11 mpg with the HO injectors, but it's a funky setup.

Back