• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can anyone look up DMV type info?

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
I need to find out who the owner of record is on an old dirt bike I just bought. Guy lied to me about being the owner, fortunately its not stolen, but DMV will not share info with me about who the official owner is so I can Gert a signature from them.

Bottom line if anyone has the capability to get me some info based on the vin please pm me and I'll send you the vin.

DMV will not furnish owners info for privacy reasons. Carfax doesn't have that kind of info either. DMV specifically told me that all I need is a name. I don't even have to contact the owner or even get a signature. CA is so stupid...if I can tell them the name they'll handle it.

Carfax will give you a full history report, every registered owners name. I know because I did it on my car once just to see what info there was available.

Take a look at DMV form INF 70. It may be what you need. Read it carefully to be sure because misuse is a misdemeanor.

There's a way to treat it as an abandoned vehicle. I'm guessing he didn't have the title?

Correct, the guy I got it from did purchase it legally from the previoius owner but never did the papers on it. Problem is that was eight years ago and he doesn't remember the guys name now. :-(

It used to be that you could put in the guy you bought it from's name as the seller on the application for duplicate title form and the DMV clerk would collect your fees, start the transfer and give you a Report of Deposit of Fees listing the person's name you needed the release from before they can complete the transfer. At that point, watch the paperwork the clerk prints, as they will bring up to prior owner info.

8 years of no registration there is a good chance its not in the DMV system anymore,call the DMV give them the vin or plate # if its not in the system its fairly easy to get it registered and get a new title

8 years of no registration there is a good chance its not in the DMV system anymore,call the DMV give them the vin or plate # if its not in the system its fairly easy to get it registered and get a new title
Ive been to DMV and AAA, striking out at both. Nothing leaves the system after 2003ish, last registration of the bike was 2005, so it will never drop out.

Still looking for help on this if anybody knows someone.

87 cr125.

Would not even be close to worth the effort to swap anything....this is a $5-700 bike when perfect ...and this one ain't perfect!

Back