• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cable crimpers

My local NAPA will crimp cables for customers. You might check with your local parts houses, they could save you some $$$.

that's a harbor freight crimper. Not saying it's bad just saying it's harbor freight.

I have it, it does the job. The markings on the dies that tell you what gauge it's for are inaccurate at best, use your intuition. The largest die (iirc, 0 or 00 gauge on mine) works very well on ~2 gauge terminals in my case.

The dies do kinda suck, they will squeeze out a sort of a sharp ridge on the two corners that separate the die halves. I always turn the crimped terminal 1/6 of a turn and recrimp to roll the ridges over.

that's a harbor freight crimper. Not saying it's bad just saying it's harbor freight.

I have it, it does the job. The markings on the dies that tell you what gauge it's for are inaccurate at best, use your intuition. The largest die (iirc, 0 or 00 gauge on mine) works very well on ~2 gauge terminals in my case.

The dies do kinda suck, they will squeeze out a sort of a sharp ridge on the two corners that separate the die halves. I always turn the crimped terminal 1/6 of a turn and recrimp to roll the ridges over.

Which one? The 8 ton appears to be the same as the HF one, but the 16 ton comes with much larger dies.

My local NAPA will crimp cables for customers. You might check with your local parts houses, they could save you some $$$.

I generally avoid dealing with the local NAPA, they're way overpriced for the exact same parts everyone else sells. I went there to see about having them make some 2 gauge cables...they wanted almost $8 a foot for 2awg cable. Seriously, that's about 4x what it would cost to order the same thing. I can buy 2/0awg welding cable for $3/ft + shipping. I probably should check at the local welding supply stores though.

Yes, I want to make my own cables. 5-90's prices are reasonable, but I've got enough different vehicles that making my own will be worth spending some money on tools to do it myself. I'm planning on dual batteries, and possibly two winches + two alternators.

Which one? The 8 ton appears to be the same as the HF one, but the 16 ton comes with much larger dies.

I have the 8 ton. Never seen the 16 ton till now.

You can get solder slugs for battery terminals and just solder the end onto the cable with a torch, that's what I've always done. Never had one fail me yet. You don't even need an oxy acetylene torch, propane or map gas works just fine. I personally like the map gas because it's hotter than propane.

I have a hydraulic crimper and it works fine, but I also have a hammer type crimper that does just as good a job. I always dip the cable in solder flux, and put some balled up solder down in the connector before crimping. I then use a torch and more solder to fully solder the cable into the lug.

I generally don't solder terminals for automotive use because I like to keep the wire flexible right up to the terminal. If you put even slightly too much solder in, it'll wick up the wire for a short distance and it won't flex anymore.

I always dip the cable in solder flux, and put some balled up solder down in the connector before crimping. I then use a torch and more solder to fully solder the cable into the lug.

this is exactly what I do, I also have the hammer style crimper.

FYI don't try this method with

I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Crimp-Tool-Non-Insulated-Terminals/dp/B0002KR9MU Worked great, did all my battery and ground cables as well as relocating winch solenoid. Makes nice crimps in 2-4 gauge cable.

I'd try that, except I'm going to run bigger cable for the winch.

I have a hydraulic crimper and it works fine, but I also have a hammer type crimper that does just as good a job. I always dip the cable in solder flux, and put some balled up solder down in the connector before crimping. I then use a torch and more solder to fully solder the cable into the lug.

How big will the hammer style crimpers go? Based on voltage drop calculations, I'm figuring on 1/0 or 2/0 for the winch power and ground cables.

this is just a pic I found online, but.... pretty big ;)
HammerCrimpTool.gif

I bought the hammer style crimper and made cables for a three battery bank and inverter setup for my tt. I tried the solder first and was not satisfied with the results. An 8lb hammer didn’t do the best job with the crimper either. I used a big vise and got great results easily. Pressing cable ends on was the toughest. I use alcohol as a lubricant and a jig. Cable is 2 awg 105c.

2181.jpg

2110.jpg

2118.jpg

2123.jpg

2212.jpg

Crimper is spring loaded and thumb operated. 8-4/0 awg cap.
http://www.delcity.net/store/Solderless-Connector-Crimping-Tool/p_1027.a_1

990015_primary.jpg

After reading this I was gonna ask why nobody tried a manual/hammer type crimper in a press. But I guess XJ20's method is about the same thing using a vise? :)

Back