• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bypass switch for A/C?

iirc the ZJs have the ac off option on the hvac panel. maybe you can steal the controls from that wire the ac switch to a relay that breaks the ac clutch circuit. i don't see why it would not work as a test just unplug you compressor and run it like that if you don't have any issues then it would not be a problem to have a relay cut power to the compressor.

pulling the relay or unplugging the ac is a pita becasue i don't want to get out and plug it back in when i want to use the ac. i had my fog lights that way and i just never used them.

i might do something like this when i redo my fog lights

Yeah man I am totally with you, I really dont feel like pulling fuse and relays and such, when in just an hour or 2 a real nice mod can be added for ever.....

So in other words you have already done this mod, and it works perfectly.. That is awesome, that is what i am looking to do then. What type of switch did you use? I was thinking of a factory button style I can incorporate in the HVAC controls if logistically possible.
Yes and I haven't had any issues with it (it's been on there for about 2 1/2 years now). Right now I'm using a 3/8in red push button on the top right of the panel (same spot where the small G.M. cars have theirs). I only went with the red because I had it at home and it took the same size mounting hole as the switch I want. Just haven't needed enough stuff to justify ordering it. Jameco.com has a ton of switches at great prices but you need a $20 or $25 min. order to avoid a surcharge.
I can get a pic of it tomorrow when I go out to my parents if you want.

Yes and I haven't had any issues with it (it's been on there for about 2 1/2 years now). Right now I'm using a 3/8in red push button on the top right of the panel (same spot where the small G.M. cars have theirs). I only went with the red because I had it at home and it took the same size mounting hole as the switch I want. Just haven't needed enough stuff to justify ordering it. Jameco.com has a ton of switches at great prices but you need a $20 or $25 min. order to avoid a surcharge.
I can get a pic of it tomorrow when I go out to my parents if you want.

That would be perfect man, and it is right in lines with what I am thinking.. Thanks again..

Looking at the 91 FSM it seems that the A/C select switch that tells the computer to start the A/C system is circuit C90 which is shown as a 16-ga light green with white tracer. I don't have an easy way to confirm this right now so if somebody has their dash apart and can check for switched voltage or ground that would be good. Unfortunately the wire color might be different for later years since they changed often.

A little slow but here they are. Pardon the dust. It's sat for a few months.
1263506616.jpg

and
1263506612.jpg

natep1

Newbie here.
could you be more specific about 'tapping into' pin six?
I interpret this as running a wire from pin six to a switch and from switch to ground.

Also, is the HVAC panel plug easily accessible?

thanks

Back