• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying my first house... suggestions from car guys?

collkid

NAXJA Forum User
Welp,
Wife and I are looking into buying our first house here in Parker.

Now, I told my wife the only thing I really care about is a Garage, at least 2 car garage.

Like most of you, I enjoy wrenching on my own car.

Any suggestions from those of you who have been through this?
Especially as fellow car owners?

What was/is the most important thing(s)?
What are your biggest regrets?
If you could do it over, what would you be looking for?

Insulated walls are awesome. Check flow to see if low spots or anything. Key for when you are washing floors.
Outlets. Lights.

We just did the same! 220 is nice but can be added later. Insulated garage door helps too. Mine stays pretty nice inside with no heat even when it's cold out. Lights and outlets are a plus. I added so.e of those led lights at Costco that work really well. Don't forget to get it inspected!

We just did the same! 220 is nice but can be added later. Insulated garage door helps too. Mine stays pretty nice inside with no heat even when it's cold out. Lights and outlets are a plus. I added so.e of those led lights at Costco that work really well. Don't forget to get it inspected!

This is me being a noob... Don't you HAVE to get it inspected?

No. you don't. But I extremely recommend it. I got lucky and washer dryer hook ups are in garage so I just have to get adapter.

H.O.A.'s are the debbil!!!

1991798959-thWaterboy_Mom.gif

a garage that doesn't face into the sun. mine does and it sucks working in the afternoon.

220v in the garage is nice, having a whole subpanel or the main panel in there is great for easily adding stuff.

you'll always want more space than you have, so get as much as you can.

outdoor storage is nice as well, a place to park a trailer or RV and maybe store a parts rig.

I don't know how much stuff you'll have in there, but space-wise try to get 450 sq. ft. or more - that way you have room for storage but also room to work.My garage at my old house was only about 420 sq. ft. and was just barely big enough to work semi-comfortably, new house is 511 sq. ft. and I have plenty of room now. As mentioned already - electrical outlets or the ability to add outlets is pretty important.

Definitely facing south or southwest, make sure there is enough room on the side for a trailer or additional parking. Biggest garage budget can afford, I really wish I had a 4+ car garage, my 3car is nice but sucks when I want a new project and can't store it anywhere because mt HOA is run by Satan himself.

Get a BIG garage. Twice as big as you think you need, if possible. If the electric panel is in the garage or outside the wall, so much the better. Air compressor, plasma, and welder all better if you can get some real power in there. And insulation and heat. Natural gas vented to the OUTSIDE. Any of those ones don't vent to the OUTSIDE just dump moisture into the air and make any bare steel (including your tools) rust. For the house part, let your wife decide. Separate bathrooms are a win, win, except for cleaning them!

Get a BIG garage. Twice as big as you think you need, if possible. If the electric panel is in the garage or outside the wall, so much the better. Air compressor, plasma, and welder all better if you can get some real power in there. And insulation and heat. Natural gas vented to the OUTSIDE. Any of those ones don't vent to the OUTSIDE just dump moisture into the air and make any bare steel (including your tools) rust. For the house part, let your wife decide. Separate bathrooms are a win, win, except for cleaning them!

Interesting thoughts. I really hope to get a big garage.

How far into this are you? Did you just decide to buy one? Been approved for a loan or anything?

Uh, we are in the middle of the process...... why?

Just buy what you want, today apartment leases have more addendums and forms to sign than houses. I am not kidding. And don't rely 100% on your inspector for condition, use your best judgement and gut feeling. If it doesn't feel right, it's probably not...

a garage that doesn't face into the sun. mine does and it sucks working in the afternoon.

220v in the garage is nice, having a whole subpanel or the main panel in there is great for easily adding stuff.

you'll always want more space than you have, so get as much as you can.

outdoor storage is nice as well, a place to park a trailer or RV and maybe store a parts rig.

You need a Garage with high ceiling that way when you realize you live in Cali your feet don't hit the floor when you decide to end the pain.

Back