• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bushwacker flares

Georgia Mike said:
Ask MarkWNC about them. They are junk on any serious 'wheeler. End of story. I think he must have had to put his back on a dozen times before he just said "Forget it!" and left them off. I witnessed them being ripped off on more than one occasion, and they only took relatively minor hits when they came off. That was enough for me to know that I could spend my money better elsewhere. On a street or mild trail rig, yes, they look great, and will keep you legal. That's about the only advantage they seem to have...

Then maybe the first question that should be asked when some one wants to know about the BW is what kind of wheeling they are going to be doing. Instead the standard reply is "OMFG BW's JUNK!".

I have had hem on my rig for 3 years with no problems. But I'm not a "extreme wheeler" or evidently must not have a "serious wheeler"

I agree they most likely won't last being drug across rocks and such, but so far they have held up to pushing small trees out of the way when I encounter a tight spot.

But for 400 dollars i mean jesus. I know you bought it and your trying to justify it to make that 400 you dropped seem like less of a waste but thats a new set of tires for something that won't last on the trail and leaves holes!

I got them off ebay for real short money....guy bought them and never installed them.....

Money aside, I ran flareless for 2 years loved every bit of it but unfortunately my local PD didn't share my enthusiasm.

I bought them for a purpose....They get me closer to "legal" tire coverage. What I'm getting at is that they do their initial job very well and they won't just "fall off" at the first sign of a tree like every one like to claim...

fair enough hah i didnt mean to sound like an ass. do what you gotta do to keep the cops off ya. why the fawk is that even a law anyway?

MG2000XJ said:
off topic, but what bumper is this...

CRW_7070.jpg

Sure looks alot like my Hanson but Im not sure if it is. Nice looking rig though

Rocky Road doesnt have anything special there....they just got "smart" and are marketing them to all XJs.....they will work on 97+, you just have to mod the flares ever so slightly.....

Good luck ordering from Rocky Road too....maybe in 6 months you MIGHT get your flares....

I have had my BW for about 4 years now and all I do is rock wheeling. Mounting them for that type of style wheeling is all you need to do. The factory flare mounting nuts are the same thread size as the BW mounting screws. If you use these with some washers when mounting they will not fall off. I have had the Jeep resting on the flares up against rocks numerous times and acually dented my fenders with no damage to the flares.

jeepme said:
I have had my BW for about 4 years now and all I do is rock wheeling. Mounting them for that type of style wheeling is all you need to do. The factory flare mounting nuts are the same thread size as the BW mounting screws. If you use these with some washers when mounting they will not fall off. I have had the Jeep resting on the flares up against rocks numerous times and acually dented my fenders with no damage to the flares.

I'm with you. you just have to be smart enough to mount them on your jeep. I have drug them passed trees, Laid over on a rock and scraped along them, without anything other than scrapes. And I'm not defending them because I dropped money on them, I'm defending them because they serve their purpose and I think they look good. I am a hardcore, serious wheeler. I'm just smart enough to mount them to my jeep. I did get mine in 2001, so maybe they are made of different material now...

x2 I bolted mine on and have used them to plow through the woods down here, I can't say much about rocks being in FL but I have considered crawling over some grand marquis though. I think that if bolts were included in the factory mounting hardware that alot of peoples complaints about being ripped off would stop because when you bolt them on they just don't come off.

I have'em, not for long. I do a lot of tight trails up here in PA and BW's don't cut it. There was a time when I would stick up for them but experience has proven that they're not up to the wheeling I do up here.

They're the "better" old style flares. Each screw has a crack around the plastic and the rears are shot to the point that I removed them completely.

I do like the look but I wish they were a little smaller.

I think next I'm going with the rustys flexy flares. I need something to keep me legal.
Either that or try and warranty the BWs. I've never tryed but I've read that if you give them a call they'll send you out a replacement. Anyone ever try?

I got pre 96 xj flares for my trimmed 97 fenders. if you look around you can actually find wider XJ front flares. sorta tapered front to rear. CHEAP at the Junk yard.

I did own a set of wackers, I held them in my hand for a few minutes and put them up for sale on ebay. The newer ones are thin hard plastic. And with winters freezing temps I knew they wouldnt even handle a grocery cart bump in a mall parkinglot. No flexibility.

Re: bushwhacker flares

I e-mailed Bushwhacker first. They said the only problem was the wrap around factory bumper, that they would have to be trimmed. Well the side molding has to be trimmed or taken off. I trimmed mine, and I purchased a DetoursUSA slimline bumper that was specifically cut for bushwhackers. Here is the result.

Jeep_Bushwackers.jpg

Now your next question may be...

Can I put a snorkel on my XJ if I have bushwhackers? The snorkel people say yes, but you'll have to trim a little of the bushwhacker. Damn, who makes that snorkel, Safari?

If you haven't bought them yet, do a search. Someone found them for $380 shipped, after I had bought mine, of course.

Back