• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burning oil

Damn I have 2 beach trips planned with this the next two weekends... Im not sure what to do... I know I shouldnt drive it but it is my only means of transportation...

Zice said:
Damn I have 2 beach trips planned with this the next two weekends... Im not sure what to do... I know I shouldnt drive it but it is my only means of transportation...
get a rental or borrow somethin cuz if its damaged you shouldnt be driving it at all only if you absolutly have too cuz i was having the same problems about a week ago and now im lookin for a new jeep cuz i threw a rod and now have a hole in my block the size of a volleyball

p.s. if you start to hear a tapping or a nocking youve probly got a nocking rod somewhere and then its only a matter of time before
she blows

ran my compression test and everything checked in OK...

Dry test (cylinder): -1- |- 2- | -3 - | -4- | -5- | -6- |
-------------------(PSI) 150 145 150 160 150 150

I didnt bother to run a wet test because the results didnt seem out of place... unless you think I should run a wet test whats next?

those numbers certainly aren't out of line.
Are you sure that you've not got a leak that ends up on the exhaust?
Have you checked the CCV system? Do you have a ton of oil in your air filter?
Barring an external leak, or the CCV system pumping oil into the air box I'd say you've got a problem with the head, valve guides or something similar.

puddles of oil under the jeep? constant drip of oil from the oil plug? bellhousing? the oil has to be going somewhere, and if your exhaust is smoking blue, it's getting into the combustion chamber somehow.

does your oil smell like gasoline? what is the condition of each plug, is any one plug oily? what is the condition of your radiator fluid, any oil in it?

Zice said:
ran my compression test and everything checked in OK...

Dry test (cylinder): -1- |- 2- | -3 - | -4- | -5- | -6- |
-------------------(PSI) 150 145 150 160 150 150

I didnt bother to run a wet test because the results didnt seem out of place... unless you think I should run a wet test whats next?

No need to run a wet test. Those results are a pleasant surprise and that's very good news for you. At least you won't need to tear into the bottom end, but that still leaves the oil consumption unexplained.
Unless you have any external oil leaks or the oil's disappearing into the coolant, it would seem more likely that the valve stem oil seals or the valve guides are worn. The result is that oil seeps past the valve stems into the combustion chambers when there's a high vacuum in the intake manifold (especially if you're driving at speed and snap the throttle shut).

alright Im gonna try to answer all these questions somehow :D

I havent checked the CCV nor do I know what it is or how to check it but there is no oil on my air filter... I just got a cone filter and when I took my old oil filter off it was clean as a new one...

the plugs were good no oil on any of them, they were a little brown toward the tip but nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary...

no puddles of oil under the exhaust just blows out black smoke when I hammer on it or rev it, I just got a new tail pipe and its already char-ed black inside and a little around the tip no actual oil spots or deposts when blown on hand...

I dont believe the oil smells like gas but ever time I fill it up as soon as I pull the dipstick out its black insted of the tan oil I just put into it...

havent checked the radiator fluid.

what did you do with the ccv hose that led to the stock airbox when you put on the cone filter?

Black smoke means it is running rich, not burning oil. Is the oil actually disappearing or is it just turning black quickly?

ahh yes the crank case valve or whatever it is... I forgot what the ccv was... yea its connected to the air tube...

the oil is dissapearing and turning black quickly... as soon as I put it in the engine... and check the dip stick its black... and about a quart or two dissapears every tank of gas... theres no leak that I can see in my driveway and if it were leaking that much it would be noticeable...

Next time you add oil, place a small tracking device in the oil, and try to solve the missing oil problem

Jesus christ, 2 quarts per tank......is your neighbor sneaking into your driveway every night and "borrowing" a quart. That much oil has to be severely noticable on its way out.

did you ever check the rad fluid?

checked the rad fluid at radiator cap and in the tank and both are green... check this out...:

88335085_279700429_0.jpeg

88335231_279700930_0.jpeg

My garage floor after I start it and moments later rev it to about 4 grand and thats the outcome... its either the moisture coming out of the exhaust that picked up all the black soot or its oil... I cant tell... it looks thin like water but I dunno...

If it ain't leaking the oil, or blowing it out of the breather...it's going thru the engine...if the plugs look good, it's either leaking or blowing out and you can't find the leak, or its going thru the exhaust valve guides...if it was the intake guides it would show on the plugs...unless the plugs are several heat ranges too hot...rule of thumb....bad guides cause smoke while the engine is idling or make a huge puff of smoke when you take off after idling a while...poor ring seal (unless the engine is totally worn out) cause little smoke at low speed, with an increasing volume of smoke the higher the engine is revved. especially while under a load.

Back