• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

burning gear oil in diesel

unhitched

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to pick up another 100 gallons of red diesel tomorrow because i am out... would it be ok to dump a gallon or so of gear oil in my transfer tank? i know it is not a huge deal to burn 30 weight, but i have a couple of diffs worth of gear oil i need to dispose off and i am wondering if i can just burn it in my tractor...

My tractor is a DI john deere, i also have an 18 horse Yanmar in my JD Gator... i dont think i would hurt but i would not mind some moral support....
thanks

nick

in a hundred gallons? don't think you'll even notice. Make sure it mixes well.

Set up a filtration system so you get any metallic particles out. Simply passing it through a few layers of filter media using gravity should do the trick well enough.

I've heard of people with older mechanical injection diesels running oil in the tank to offset the ULSD. A diesel should be able to run on anything that will ignite when compressed (and heated)

However ... regular motor oil is sometimes too thick at colder temps to run 100%. Gear oil would probably be really thick to run straight.

Remember that gear oil viscosity is not the same scale as motor oil viscosity. SAE 90 is in the neighborhood of motor oil 40 or 50, and 75 is down around 15.

I think if you can make sure it's not full of harmful crud it would probably work all right.

Dump it with your waste engine oil at Autozone or Pepboys. If it was clean/ filtered oil you could add it to your fuel to increase btu's. Being it's used oil I wouldn't chance getting fine metal in my fuel system just in case it gets by the filters. Remember fuel lubricates and cools the injection pump too. Don't know the old diesels but getting a newer pump rebuilt at Becs Pacific starts at 1K.

Back