• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydraulic tractor fluid in 242?

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
We all know that t cases generally are not super picky on fluid and some zj cases use hydraulic fluid, would it be okay in my 242? It leaks quite a bit after I put in some of the +4 fluid and I have 3 gallons of tractor fluid kicking around that I'll never have a use for.

We all know that t cases generally are not super picky on fluid and some zj cases use hydraulic fluid, would it be okay in my 242? It leaks quite a bit after I put in some of the +4 fluid and I have 3 gallons of tractor fluid kicking around that I'll never have a use for.

Don't know where you got that from??? Hydraulic fluids don't have the "lubrication" qualities needed but it's your to experiment with!

Tractor fluid is not like brake fluid. It's an oil and very similar to ATF, typically a bit thicker and less detergents. In tractors it's used to lube the gearbox and clutches as well as run the hydraulics. There's someone here that likes to use TF1000 (?) in everything and hasn't blown anything up yet.

I have seen some posts of people using universal tractor fluid in their 247s, claiming it's virtually identical to the expensive Mopar stuff.

Hmm. I have a few gallons of tractor fluid that I used in my tractor, but didn't like how slow it pumped in winter.

When I worked at the Case Equipment dealer we sold TCH fluid 5 gallon buckets Transmission Converter Hydraulic fluid when we were out of TCH fluid we sold 5 gallon bucket of Dexron II in its place fwiw.

Back