• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper Time

mud1059 said:
I've been using the stock mounts for a year now with some CRAZY pulling on those 8 bolts. They've held up great. You should be fine with your 3 mounting locations. Also a little side note. You do pretty damn good work for a guy with an arc welder in his driveway. I'm lacking ingenuity - you are not. I say roll with the 2 harbor freight winches out the back. Just because it's different doesn't make it bad.

lol thanks for the support.

My parents actually act the same way. Especially my father. He's always like, why do you build stuff for your jeep? Why not just keep it the normal stock way? My answer is always the same. I want to be different. I hate being normal.

Yes, I can see why some would think why 2 3000lb winches instead of just 1 6-9lbs winch? Well i just want it to look sleek and recessed.

Thanks for the comments though, it's nice to hear. And again, I'm willing to weld anything for anyone on this board. I take pictures of what I do and store them in a portfolio for future job interviews. So anything helps. You provide the supplies i'll provide the welds.

oh and ------ Thanks alot to Paul for letting me come down and strip some parts away!

DrSockMonkey said:
Don't be a racist Matt!!! IF you don't like swimming with the chinese just come out and say it!! Racist Pig!!!!

Jeremy

IXNAYXJ said:
Naw, they're fine...it's just the Russians I have a problem with. ;)

-----Matt-----

(head shaking in disgust) Children-poor ignorant, misguided children. Tsk.:looser:

Please ignore the above post. Peace has been made, and I will try very hard not to over-react in the future. Spaz's thread may now go back on topic. Thanks all. :cheers::peace: Soooo- got any more pics of this big ass bumper? I'd be interested in seeing your tie in method.

mud1059 said:
I've been using the stock mounts for a year now with some CRAZY pulling on those 8 bolts. They've held up great.

Just for the record. It is the general opinion of most well respected Cherokee owners that those 8 bolts are not enough to use for tow points!!
If you intend to use your rear bumper or tow points from your rear bumper you should attach to both the stock mounts as well as the receiver mounts on the frame rails.

Not saying what anyone here has done is not acceptable, just making it clear for those who are looking at this tread to design their own rear bumpers and tie-in's.

Michael

2xtreme said:
Just for the record. It is the general opinion of most well respected Cherokee owners that those 8 bolts are not enough to use for tow points!!
If you intend to use your rear bumper or tow points from your rear bumper you should attach to both the stock mounts as well as the receiver mounts on the frame rails.

Not saying what anyone here has done is not acceptable, just making it clear for those who are looking at this tread to design their own rear bumpers and tie-in's.

Michael

Most of the time, what happens with the 8 bolt points is they pull the threaded part toward the rear and the back of the unibody starts to crack badly. Sometimes it comes back to haunt people, sometimes it doesn't.

The tie-in to me is peace of mind. Better safe than sorry. My bumper is held in at a whopping 17 bolts, I overdid it, but the holes were already there so I said what the hell.

Yes, I can see why some would think why 2 3000lb winches instead of just 1 6-9lbs winch? Well i just want it to look sleek and recessed.

You could also just get you one 8 or 9000 winch that is mounted on a receiver plate that you could use on the front or back. Just seems it would be easier than having seperate winches all over the jeep.:dunno:

Back