• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building Your Own Garage

joejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
I am a mechanic, not a carpenter but in the near future I will be moving out of the shop I'm currently at and going back to school. This will necessitate the removal of my boxes, carts, engine stands, etc etc so now I'm in need of a garage/shop. Plenty of room on the property and no local zoning or licensing so that's not an issue. Read some online stuff on it and got a couple books. I have a neighbor that will pour the pad for it so that isn't an issue. The question I have is has anyone here ever built there own garage? As in should a guy with little carpentry experience attempt it?

Around here the lumber yards have garage packages available. They come with plans and they onsite deliver everything you will need down to the nails. That way you have certified plans and will meet code. It is actually quite cheap and lessens the hassle quite a bit. If you aren't a carpenter and have all the saws and such, get the kit with the premade roof trusses. You can get the walls framed and up by yourself, but it does help having at least one set of hands to hold them while you tie them together. Roof trusses could use several sets of hands or you can rent a guy with a boom truck to help with the trusses.

I bought my shop from www.steelbuilding.com. It bolts right together although it took about 4 of us to put it together ourselves.

Back