• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

building 2 engines 1999 2000 i have some questions on engine block cores

alwayzAMC

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

after many miles it is time for me to build 2 engines for my xj's,

mine is a 99 and will be building a stroker of some sort, thinking a 4.6 variant.

my mom's jeep is a 2000 and on a stethoscope it sounds like a school bus full of pots and pans rolling sideways down a cliff , but is not loud to just the ear. but it is time.

both are daily drivers and do not plan on using any of their current engines for cores.

i currently have 2 good core engines, a 1996 and 1997.

last night i started with a 2000xj core, but noticed some slight piston detonation on the cylinder walls and am likely scrapping it rather than boring it.

i notice the 2000 has a retaining plate for the cam. does anyone know if the 1999 engine also has this plate, i noticed that they both take the same cam so i am assuming my 1999 has this plate also?

both core engines only had 165k ish miles and both ran very well before i pulled them. neither one of them have the cam retaining plate. will either of these work as cores for the 1999 or the 2000 engines while using the stock cam and a tupy head for the 2000? if so do i have to make some block modifications?

i hope this is clear, been tearing these things apart since last night and have been tripping over them in my garage the past couple years, the thought of them being scrap has me celebrating memorial day early

Cheers

thanks for any help, and happy memorial day weekend !!

RD

i notice the 2000 has a retaining plate for the cam. does anyone know if the 1999 engine also has this plate, i noticed that they both take the same cam so i am assuming my 1999 has this plate also?
Yes, the 99 has the plate too.
will either of these work as cores for the 1999 or the 2000 engines while using the stock cam and a tupy head for the 2000? if so do i have to make some block modifications?
The plate style cam can not be used on a an earlier block w/o plate mounting provisions.

awesome thanks for the confirmation talyn.

ralph thanks for the link, good reading

there seems to be some conflicting information in my searches for info. i saw somewhere that the cam profile was modified on the 2000 and 2001 xj for the coil on plug ignition system. other places say the cam shaft profiles from 96-01 were the same. if the profiles are the same i should be able to use the 97 block in the 2000 without the need to change cam and have spent the past day over complicating things.

i did find this article which leads me to believe i am correct in the different cam profiles for 00.01 engines.i have contacted comp cams to find out if that profile is available in both the 97-98 cam and the 99-01 cam, i will let you know what they say.

http://forums.4wdmechanix.com/topic...00-jeep-xj-cherokee-stroker-46l-engine-build/

The difference in the 96 & 2000 cam won't be enough for the PCM to notice. However, if you are rebuilding it why do you want to use the old cam? Comp doesn't offer the 00+ cam. Besides their support is pretty shitty any how. For the 2000 block style cam, there is a stock replacement cam available in the after market as well as a custom grinds from Jones Cams. Thats it.

sorry for the confusion, i am not using the old cam. what i want to use is the 97 block for the 2000 build, i will be buying a new cam but with the 97 block I am limited to the older style cam.
so a new 96-98 style cam in the 97 block will work on the 2000?

and that is actually good news about comp not offering the newer style cam, that would mean that i can use the 97 block with a 96-98 cam with a 2000,2001 grind on it as stated in the link i posted. . that is if they will get back to me. it would also allow me to use the older style timing set which if i recall was a stronger unit?

i will be buying a new cam but with the 97 block I am limited to the older style cam.
so a new 96-98 style cam in the 97 block will work on the 2000?
Yess that will work. Of course you will also want to get new lifters and do a proper cam breakin procedure.
that is if they will get back to me. it would also allow me to use the older style timing set which if i recall was a stronger unit?
You can use the older timing chain set. The stock later style is actually stronger, but you have more options with the earlier style.

Back