• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build Your Own Motor Mounts?

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
I searched all evening and can't seem to find the post or article that I vividly remember where a guy made his own MORE style motor mounts using stock lower control arm bushings. Can anyone point me to this mysterious article/post/?? Thanks, Jeff. :)

MORE uses stock control arm bushings. They cost $5 at autozone. If you go to my web page and look at the article about building long arms, you will see a picture and I believe a link to a company that makes the steel portion that the bushing can be pressed into for about $10 each. It saves a ton of fab time. The rest of the motor mount is pretty straight forward, just use the old one as a guide. YOu might even be able to cut up the old one and weld the two together.

http://www.4x4getaways.com

I bought the MORE, then saw how they made them. Don't get me wrong, they are one hell of a set of mounts, but a bit pricey. My only complaint is that with the stroker and the poly tranny mount, it rattles your teeth in drive with your foot on the brake. I've got to get a stock type tranny mount.

Thanks, that is the exact thing I was looking for. However, rocklogic4x4.com doesn't show that piece on their page. I guess I'll have to give them a call tomorrow unless there is someplace else you know of that makes the tubing for xj lower control arm bushings. Jeff

Rocklogic does have the sleave. I just had a set shipped to my suspension builder. now regaurding Motor mounts. even though I haven't tried a set of them on my jeep for that porpose I think the rubber is too hard. and poly is way to hard. the goal for a motor mount is to isolate engine noise while keeping it where it should be. OEM mounts are awsome at isolation but they lack in keeping the engine in place and they fatigue easily. poly is the other extreme, great at keeping motor in place but terrible at isolation.

stock LCA bushings are still to hard.

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Thanks, that is the exact thing I was looking for. However, rocklogic4x4.com doesn't show that piece on their page. I guess I'll have to give them a call tomorrow unless there is someplace else you know of that makes the tubing for xj lower control arm bushings. Jeff

Ok, I tend to agree with you on the hardness of the stock lower control arm bushing. I am interested in your mounts as well, but would like some detail about them. What is the bushing you use from? Is the rubber vulcanized to the inner metal sleeve and/or the outer metal ring? Is the rubber replaceable and not vulcanized to the parts? Since the rubber is soft according to you, will the weight of the engine cause the center metal sleeve to sag within the rubber and then slop around? Is your mount a modified mount for a different engine/car? I looked at Carquest today and see that there are a million different mounts and fully half of them would probably work in the cherokee with a little work. Give me some detail on your mount and what other avenues you tried before coming up with your current mount. Thanks, Jeff

I think the MORE mounts are fine (the rubber ones). When I first got them, they vibrated a lot sitting at stoplights, and worse in 4wd, but that's pretty much gone over time. I don't even think about it anymore. Sometimes it shakes a bit at stoplights with the AC on, but it's pretty nomimal.

YMMV. A somewhat softer rubber that is still durable would be nice if you are starting from scratch.

Nay

Jeff, I had trouble finding them on there site also. They are under products then suspension.

I am going to order a couple to replace the frame end of my current LCA's
I have a couple low milage stock LCA that I will use the bushings out of.

-Jerry

Back