• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build up of my XJ going to full width

Wow, I've never even seen some of those names before.

As Starboard was saying, The axles come out of the same vehicle, so yes they are the same bolt pattern, 5x5.5.

The sky is the limit for the shock mounts, as you will either need to make them, or buy some.

A 9" is definitely not bolt in.

Wow, I've never even seen some of those names before.

As Starboard was saying, The axles come out of the same vehicle, so yes they are the same bolt pattern, 5x5.5.

The sky is the limit for the shock mounts, as you will either need to make them, or buy some.

A 9" is definitely not bolt in.
are the spring perches the same ? width??? of axle ?:patriot:

Nothing about a Ford 9'' is bolt in. I have no idea where you saw that, but nothing I can see in this thread has ever mentioned anything like that.

The spring perches might be close, but I doubt it. Shock mounts will not work.

Tell you what, you search the internet for 9'' swaps, and I bet you will find a ton of information. Then, if you have specific questions, start your own thread rather then clogging up this old build thread asking really broad questions.

Re: Where you from?

:dunno:!!!1:yelclap::confused:
yes it's old thread ! but is the the bolt pattern the same ? and what about shock mount's ? and the width of those 9" axle's ? thanks for any info ?! and it bolt's right in ?? that's what i need!!?? :compwork:

44 came out of a 1978 f150

9" came out of a 1984 f150

9" is not shaved or anything. All I did was clean it up put all new gears, brakes, etc.. and it bolted straight up to my rear leaf pack. I did not have to mod the spring pads or anything. I was very easy and straight forward

Let me know if you have any more questions

well holy crap.. old thread..

YES the rear does bolt right in.. the spring perches were about 1/4" off.. and no it has not caused any issues at all..

and why not an update :)

Well got half a 231 case from a friend so I could rebuild mine.. then I remember I had a 2 lo kit.. so I pulled that out and found the plastic guides all wore down.. after so calls no one had one.. so I took a stock shift fork and cut it up and made my own 2 low shift fork ( I should have taken pics)
Here are some pics of case back in and also of cracked case..
I also got some new shoes for XJ.
and I also cut the rear 9" and plated it with 3/8" steel.. not gonna have to worry about sliding on rocks anymore
also ripped out interior and found a little rust but not to much..
100_5678.jpg

100_5683.jpg

100_5686.jpg

100_5682.jpg

100_5679.jpg

100_5681.jpg

Did you keep the shock mounts on the 9" stock too?

well next I need new shackles with better angle to them.. so I got a joint end and welded it on, made shackles and got those on last night.. also took apart front radius arm last night to check on bushings and they still look brand new ( not bad after 6 years of romping on them

100_5689.jpg

100_5690.jpg

could you explain how you cut your own 2lo shift fork?

sure.

I bought a used 2 low kit from a guy but the shift fork was all messed up, groun down and missing plastic sliders..

see pic:
file_18_5.jpg

So I used the part with the notches that lets you select each setting, but then I took a factory shift fork and cut it down to match the aftermarket one.. I had to cut the top and bottom of the shiftfork to get it to match.. the part I cut is the sleeve that the shift rod rides in.. the factory one is to long and will not let you get full shifting motion out of it

well I am still in collecting parts stage to build the new front axle but I wanted a better front suspension so I am doing a little work this weekend hope to have them in by end of weekend :)

swayaway.jpg

Well ended only having about 5hrs of work time yesterday ( family time was needed )

but I did get a bunch done and should have it all finished today

took out coils, shocks, etc.. then had to move the air box on drivers side and the radiator over flow on passenger side then I cut some holes :)

fenderhole.jpg

supported jeep with engine hoist, some jack stands, and set axle at ride height.
leveljeep.jpg

made some bottom brackets and welded them in
axlebracket.jpg

made frame stiffners on both side and welded them in then made some tube slugs and then the tube for shock mount
shockmount.jpg

got drivers side in and done
uppermount.jpg

shockin.jpg

plan to get passenger side done today and a brace connecting both shock hoops in.. then charge with nitrogen and see how it rides

well it is all done and I drove it around the neighborhood a few times with no issues :)

shocks are even tuned..

100_8287.jpg

100_8290.jpg

100_8291.jpg

100_8288.jpg

everything fit except air box.. need to fix that..it is a little tight on passenger side
100_8305.jpg

plenty of room on drivers side
100_8304.jpg

Back