• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Boost and 31x10.50's???? please help!!

ColoradoRaptor said:
Hello McFly, ground clearence is achieved by your tires not the lift! The lift allows the fitment of larger tires which in turn moves the axle/diff away from the ground giving you clearence! The lift moves the body/frame away from the drivetrain/axles! It is all about the tires!! Wheeling 101!!:rtm:

That's not true. You can put your wheel over an obstacle so the axle doesn't hit it (that's the point of solid axles), but when the wheel goes down on the other side, you need enough clearance to not have your body hit the obstacle.

MPETESS10 said:
you WILL NOT be able to disco the front sway bar off road with the 31's and only 2"
not true. i beat the crap out of mine with no sway bar. DD as well, with no sway bar. just have to cut more. here's the front right after i cut. plenty of room. only rubs at full stuff and full lock. everywhere else is fine. i suspect if i put in longer LCA's it wouldn't rub at all.

0531082204.jpg

Most of the kits come with the t-case drop kit, or it can be had for like $20.
I have 4.5" of lift and a 1" t-case drop, running 265/75-16 tires it looks good and performs great! I will be adding a SYE eventually, I made my drop from 1" spacers and some new longer bolts. Once you put the 2" in your gonna wish you went higher even with a 3" your gonna wish you went 4.5"! In my opinion you should spend the little extra and get the 3.5" RE kit, that's what I got, I bought it used so all the settling was done and it still gave me 4.5" over stock!

winkosmosis said:
You guys are quick to recommend 3.5", but don't the majority of folks with that much lift use an SYE (or tcase drop)? That's a lot of added cost.

300$XJ said:
Most of the kits come with the t-case drop kit, or it can be had for like $20.
I have 4.5" of lift and a 1" t-case drop, running 265/75-16 tires it looks good and performs great! I will be adding a SYE eventually, I made my drop from 1" spacers and some new longer bolts. Once you put the 2" in your gonna wish you went higher even with a 3" your gonna wish you went 4.5"! In my opinion you should spend the little extra and get the 3.5" RE kit, that's what I got, I bought it used so all the settling was done and it still gave me 4.5" over stock!

What he said. Go bigger first. I am currently getting parts together to go to 5" and run 33's. It would have much cheaper to do this in the first place.

By the way my current setup - 31's rub a lot (coil towers, lca and rear qtr panel - it will rip your rear bumper cover off....ask me how I know) with a 3" RC lift w/ full leaf pak. That is wheeling hard and swaybar disconnected.

I've got a good 2.5" with my lift on 31's no rubbing. I need better tires and I would like to go higher. I'm happy with it so far but I would like more improvement.

Turfzilla said:
What he said. Go bigger first. I am currently getting parts together to go to 5" and run 33's. It would have much cheaper to do this in the first place.

By the way my current setup - 31's rub a lot (coil towers, lca and rear qtr panel - it will rip your rear bumper cover off....ask me how I know) with a 3" RC lift w/ full leaf pak. That is wheeling hard and swaybar disconnected.
The problem is too big a lift looks bad with small tires. A lot of people run 31" tires on 4.5" lift, but that really comes out to over 5", and the tires get dwarfed. And to me a t-case drop isn't a real solution- I like to put as little stress on my drivetrain as possible, and bending my whole engine, transmission, and transfercase down seems like a bad idea. So we're left with a $550 + labor SYE kit.

Last edited:
winkosmosis said:
That's not true. You can put your wheel over an obstacle so the axle doesn't hit it (that's the point of solid axles), but when the wheel goes down on the other side, you need enough clearance to not have your body hit the obstacle.

Where do you think the measurement for ground clearance is taken from........the diff, thats where! AND what moves the diff away from the ground......thats right, the tires!

So you are telling me that if two jeeps both having 6" of lift, one having 29" tires and the other 35" can take the same line clearing everything exactly the same.........:bs:

I have 265/75/15's (taller than 31's by a little) with 2.5" of lift and other than adjusting my steering stops I have no rubbing at full stuff. I will be adding some bumpstops for safety in the near future. On my previous xj I had a RE BB and 31's with no problem.
If you want to do it on the cheap, check out the Rocklizardfabrications.com budget lift in the tech section. I've used it and the ride is great and it doesn't sag. Can be done for $100 or less depending on the price you get leaves for. I like it better than my RE lift.

winkosmosis said:
How do you adjust the steering stops?
loosen the 15mm(or 13mm I don't remember) bolt at the front of the knuckle that is the steering stop and put a couple washers in behind the welded nut. Presto adjustment done. Sorry I don't have pics.

so what about a 235/85/19 sounds like a 32/9.5 which is something i would like.. im all about tall and skinny.. i mean my old lady is 5'9" 115lbs..haha

ColoradoRaptor said:
Where do you think the measurement for ground clearance is taken from........the diff, thats where! AND what moves the diff away from the ground......thats right, the tires!

So you are telling me that if two jeeps both having 6" of lift, one having 29" tires and the other 35" can take the same line clearing everything exactly the same.........:bs:

No but I'm saying that lift without tire size increase helps too. Why do you think we have solid axle vehicles and not IFS?

MPETESS10 said:
you WILL NOT be able to disco the front sway bar off road with the 31's and only 2" but obviously you dont do that now with the 30's. I can m ake my 30x9.50s rub pretty good up front when disco'ed

I know this thread is a bit old but I'm wondering about this statement. Is the problem with discoing the sway bar that the tires rub the sway bar, overcompression of shocks, or what?

Back