• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Browser issues?

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running the latest and greatest from Firefox and IE.
When I go to www.bestbuy.com it all comes up in jibberish and foreign language. Others that I've talked to can view it in english just fine.
I've cleared my cookies and that does nothing. It comes up jibberish on the desktop as well as our laptop. Best Buy is the only website that I have the issue with. Every once in a while it will load fine then I'll click on a product or a different link on the site and then it will go back to jibberish.
Any ideas?

doing the same on both computers eh? same browsers? same versions?

are you using IE9? idk if thats out yet and not in beta.. and the newest FF is using html5 and all that jazz... bestbuy's site might not just be up to snuff with the new code. that or your ISP has an issue.

No other websites?

Cleared your cookies, what about clearing your cache(s)?

Best Buy is the only site that I've had issues with. There may be others but I've just not found them yet. Firefox just updated to 3.6.13 and IE is 8.0.6. If Cookies and cache have been cleared multiple times.

It's coming up in Chinese now. Earlier I'm pretty sure it was Turkish.
This is really aggravating!

Does it load correct for you guys?
www.bestbuy.com

Best Buy is the only site that I've had issues with. There may be others but I've just not found them yet. Firefox just updated to 3.6.13 and IE is 8.0.6. If Cookies and cache have been cleared multiple times.

It's coming up in Chinese now. Earlier I'm pretty sure it was Turkish.
This is really aggravating!

Does it load correct for you guys?
www.bestbuy.com

Working fine here. What version of Windows are you on?

Winderz XP

Try shutting down that multi-lingual crap icon--on the taskbar.

Winderz XP

Ooops... Forgot about this one.

I'm almost wondering if something hasn't altered the hosts file on your machine to redirect lookups for bestbuy.com to some other site. It's not uncommon for malware to do this, and even if you're not infected with something currently, it could be an artifact of a past infection that has otherwise been cleaned up.

Anyway, give resetting the hosts file a shot and see what happens. Take a look at this MSKB article; it describes the procedure fairly well.

Note that doing this will remove any legitimate changes that have been made to it, so making a copy of it first would probably be a good idea just in case there's something in there that actually is needed.

The other possibility is that whoever's providing your DNS is having problems, but we can check on that later if this doesn't fix it.

Download Cleanup452, Ccleaner and malwarebytes. Run them in order after updating each.
Also open a command prompt and type the following:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Then, right click on your network connection and click repair. Doing all this should clear out anything that may be causing an inadvertent browser problem.

Ooops... Forgot about this one.

I'm almost wondering if something hasn't altered the hosts file on your machine to redirect lookups for bestbuy.com to some other site. It's not uncommon for malware to do this, and even if you're not infected with something currently, it could be an artifact of a past infection that has otherwise been cleaned up.

Anyway, give resetting the hosts file a shot and see what happens. Take a look at this MSKB article; it describes the procedure fairly well.

Note that doing this will remove any legitimate changes that have been made to it, so making a copy of it first would probably be a good idea just in case there's something in there that actually is needed.

The other possibility is that whoever's providing your DNS is having problems, but we can check on that later if this doesn't fix it.

No dice.
bestbuy.jpg

Last edited:
Hm, damn. OK, can you tell me what DNS servers you're using?
Sorry, no.
I'm not that savy with this stuff.

Back