• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken steering column Help

Jeep914x4

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep got broken into about a year ago and the steering column was violated.... Here's a pic.

broken.jpg

Initially my brights were the only thing that didn't work. My wipers worked if I pushed the signal stalk just right.

Recently, the wipers stopped working. It's been raining so it's about time to fix this!

So, Do I need a new steering column or is there another way to fix this?

TIA

Pull the steering wheel, pull you turn signal lever, pull the plastic cover off and see what is broke, disconnected, shorted.

You can rent the tools at a lot of auto parts stores to pull the wheel (steering wheel puller/plate, spring compressor). Most of the parts in there are pretty cheap, if not there is always the wrecking yard. You will most likely not have to replace the whole thing.

Last edited:
i had that prob on mine, it was cheaper for me to go get a hole new column, its easy to replace

Thanks for the replies everyone.

A couple of months before the column got violated Someone broke in and tried to start the jeep by prying the ignition cover off and jamming a screwdriver in there to try and turn it. They would have gotten it if it wasn't for the worn out neutral safety switch, or as I liked to call it "Jeep Security". I had to replace lock and tumbler. It wasn't hard with the specialty tools from Auto Zone.

I guess I will start searching for a new column. Any ideas what years are compatible? It's a 91 w/tilt.

Thanks again.

Back