• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken rear lower shock mount fix

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I was swapping in new shocks and the stud broke at the threaded end. This happens to some and I figured I'd do a little write-up on a way to remedy this.

I was told to buy this universal shock mount from the parts store.

DSCF7753.jpg

At first it looked like it would work very easily so I gave it a try. First the factory stud was cut off and then a 1/2" hole was drilled from the backside. Once the universal shock mount was inserted, I realized that the rear stud that bolts to the bracket is not long enough for the nut to thread on. I could have just grinded down the backside of the stock bracket because it's about 3/4" thick but didn't have my grinder so I was forced to go another route.

I needed some fully threaded studs and mcmaster.com had exactly what I needed. I ordered up some 4" x 5/8"-11 studs that were a little over a dollar a piece.

DSCF7754.jpg

Got em the next day (fast!) and went about installing it. I had to drill the hole to the bigger 5/8" size. I prefer 5/8 over 1/2 because with 1/2, you have to use a shock bushing sleeve and you can't pre-load the bushing with them. 5/8" fits in the bushing very tight.

DSCF7755.jpg

Here's basically what you need to do the mod, minus something to cut off the stud:

DSCF7760.jpg

5/8-11 x 4" threaded stud
3 x 5/8-11 nuts
2 x 5/8 washers
locktite

This is how it was be set up. I used some generic bushings to show where the shock goes. The bushings came with that universal mount.

DSCF7758.jpg

Bolt the stud to the shock and tighten to preload the bushing. Use locktite on the nuts.

DSCF7761.jpg

Then insert the other end in the hole you drilled and bolt up the rear with locktite as well.

All done!

DSCF7764.jpg

Hope this helps others.

Thanks to Joe for drilling the original 1/2" hole when I didn't have my tools.

Back