• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Nut Off Road Park

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
So there is a new park just south of Jefferson, SC. It's about 300 acres on the Lynches River. The owner has 200 more but will only open that up if it gets busy and he feels the need for more room. I'm going to be posting up in here when I think I'm going to be heading up there. It's about 30 - 45 minutes from my house so that could be often. They just opened so they only have primitive camping. If any of you get a free Saturday or Sunday to head there to check it out let me know.

What are the trails like? Anything that stockers or those with open diffs can do?

What are the trails like? Anything that stockers or those with open diffs can do?

Right now it's a lot of easy trails in the woods, not a whole lot of exposed rock yet, and some narrow ravines. Oh yea plenty of mud. Let me know if one Saturday you want to come down.

I remember when Mr. Fulmer wouldn't go to Gulches because it was new and it was a "mud pit". lol

Hopefully, this place turns into something nice. Another place nearby would be cool.

I remember when Mr. Fulmer wouldn't go to Gulches because it was new and it was a "mud pit". lol

Hopefully, this place turns into something nice. Another place nearby would be cool.

Yes I will admit I have changed some of my opinions and views over the years. They have stopped cutting new trails atm because of the heat. The ones there need to be ridden and worn in. There is a nice ravine that has 3 exits but it is steep and puts a jeep on it's side. If that one gets widened so it's more level with the rock seen in it I suspect ti will be nice. There is a hill side that has two trails up it and they want to put a trail up it every 20 feet or so. I suspect ti will have about 4 or 6 climbs on that one hill. I'm going Saturday to see if the fuel issue is fixed. I'll try and get some more pictures.

Few shots from Saturday. It was slick. I got denied on a slick ravine that the mud caked up my super swampers. There is rock all over the land. I think they plan on dropping some rocks in the different ravines. Right now it's just too hot to go work out there so work on cutting trails has stopped. When they do work they work half a day then ride the rest. A good way to go see the park for free. They currently charge $15 for a vehicle and $5 per passenger. Never thought I'd live within 45 min of a place to ride.......

Now, if it can just keep the doors open.

How's parking?

Big clay field....... There were 12 trucks and trailers in it with plenty of room left. The property owner likes to play in mud and is into offroading so it has a huge potential to stay open. Lenny showed me the next two trails getting cut and I cannot wait for cooler weather......

Big clay field....... There were 12 trucks and trailers in it with plenty of room left. The property owner likes to play in mud and is into offroading so it has a huge potential to stay open. Lenny showed me the next two trails getting cut and I cannot wait for cooler weather......

I'm pretty sure Andy was referring to the county allowing it to stay open. That's been the reason for all the other parks in SC to close.

I'm pretty sure Andy was referring to the county allowing it to stay open. That's been the reason for all the other parks in SC to close.

I was supposed to go but forgot and was not reminded but the county fire and ems was out there last week for a ride around. They wanted to see what access they would have and if there was a place to land a helicopter I was told. It's in Kershaw county and I suspect it should be able to stay open.

Video:

The rock pile at the parking lot....

Right.

I was supposed to go but forgot and was not reminded but the county fire and ems was out there last week for a ride around. They wanted to see what access they would have and if there was a place to land a helicopter I was told. It's in Kershaw county and I suspect it should be able to stay open.

Skip has always fought with the county because traffic leaving the park covers the road in mud.

Just wondering if there's going to be a terrible parking lot that requires 4wd or not.

Right.

Skip has always fought with the county because traffic leaving the park covers the road in mud.

Just wondering if there's going to be a terrible parking lot that requires 4wd or not.

Yea no doubt. They have a sign that says something about not getting mud on the road. I was up there when it was raining and had no issues getting out of the lot. It's flat. There is a hill climb out but it's very gradual slope. The guy that owns the property from what I understand is in road and bridge construction or was. I think he has a really good chance at keeping it open.

Right now it's a lot of easy trails in the woods, not a whole lot of exposed rock yet, and some narrow ravines. Oh yea plenty of mud. Let me know if one Saturday you want to come down.

If I can ever get a weekend where somebody else hasn't already planned something for me, maybe i'd be able to fix my junk from Harlan!

Back