• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken in - dont want to lose the XJ

??? Removed the locks? How do you keep whatever is in your jeep away from casual thieving? I am really curious because a while back, someone tried to pop out the cylinder on mine too. I came out and scared him away i guess ( didn't see him, just heard him) He left me a chipped and bent flathead screwdriver in my driveway as he ran.

So serioulsy, how do you lock up? Or do you just not leave anything in your Jeep?

Sorry for being so vague. I removed the lock tumblers and replaced them with carriage bolts. I painted them to look like locks at first glance. I rely on the power locks for entry. I haven't run into any problems so far. I keep a spare remote in the truck, which is still accessible by key. I also have a kill switch that I installed. I'm also working on a center console insert from a modified ammo can. I'm going to use one of my two remaining lock tumblers for the center console, that way I'll have the same key as the rear door, ignition, and glove box. Here is a writeup on the carriage bolts, along with a bunch of unrelated drama...

Inexpensive Theft Deterrent (done)

FELIX said:
Quick & simple, take the coil wire with you. Takes another minute or 2 but even more secure, take the rotor. Won't start w/o either one & it's free

Rob $.02
X2, thats what I always do. But then I have a distributer in my Heep. The shut off switch on the cps would be a easy thing to do.

Sorry man, but on my 2000, that is the way that I have my kill switch set up. All I did was make a switch with one wire from the CPS. Never got a code and I use it every day. I dont know how you messed this up, but you shouldnt have gotten a code. Try cutting into the other wire. I cut into the 5volt wire, and simply hid a switch in the loop. But using the CPS as a kill switch has been done before, I got the idea from Naxja, and know of at least three people who have the same set up (S.R.A.)

:cheers:

scoobyxj said:
Yes it will on a 00+

P0320-
No crank referance at PCM-
No reference signal (crankshaft position sensor) detected
during engine cranking.

Also
P0320-
No RPM Signal to PCM (Crankshaft
Position Sensor Signal to JTEC)
A CKP signal has not been detected at the PCM.

There two other codes for high and low voltage conditions on the CKP too.

The NNS-

P1899 (M) P/N Switch Stuck in Park or in Gear Incorrect input state detected for the Park/Neutral switch
(3 or 4-speed auto. trans. only).

Also after reading the FSM a little more. Interupting the the coil side of the ADS relay without interupting the key on referance signal to the PCM will light the MIL too. If you want to run a k run kill switch you will have to interupt the run wire from the iginition switch. FYI interupting the fuel pump control circuit will also light the MIL. You can pull the fuel pump relay though without lighting it. I do it when ever I need to crank the moter over without it starting. Just did it yesterday infact.

I lock my XJ but take my jensens faceplate with me. On the TJ's I don't even lock the doors. TJ was broken into once at the trainstation on a friday which is when I go home, somebody grabbed my bag of dirty underware and socks plus a cheap $3 street vendor umbrella and a can of altoids. I'm just happy they tried the doors and didn't slash a window. I don't leave anything in them during the week. They missed the 30K tow strap and D rings under TJ's seat. I'll be carrying even less when the soft tops come off for good in june and the bikini's go on. Need to find another key fob remote so I can use the factory installed alarm which I have turned off on them. I park right outside the stationmasters window and he knows me by sight, never had a problem before, the cops have a patrol car there almost all the time, 5 way intersection is good for tickets and revenue... :D

I've always wanted to get some of those explosive dye packs like banks use only mix some really irritating chemical in with the dye.

Ben H said:
Sorry man, but on my 2000, that is the way that I have my kill switch set up. All I did was make a switch with one wire from the CPS. Never got a code and I use it every day. I dont know how you messed this up, but you shouldnt have gotten a code. Try cutting into the other wire. I cut into the 5volt wire, and simply hid a switch in the loop. But using the CPS as a kill switch has been done before, I got the idea from Naxja, and know of at least three people who have the same set up (S.R.A.)

:cheers:

I think it has to do with which wire you use, a +5 wire won't drop so much voltage as the signal wire could, that hall effect device does not put out much signal, adding another length of wire to the signal side may be enough to drop it to borderline strength especially if you use good wire and good joints.

Don't know if it's already been covered or dismissed :dunno: but on my truck you can just take out the relay to the fuel pump, it allows the jeep to start but once the fuel is done in the block the engine just dies. My Jeep is a '94 don't know if it changed with the newer jeeps.Ihave to pop the hood each time but hey if it means spending two minutes or $2000 for another jeep i'm willing to try it. Hope it helps :patriot:

Markos said:
Sorry for being so vague. I removed the lock tumblers and replaced them with carriage bolts. I painted them to look like locks at first glance. I rely on the power locks for entry. I haven't run into any problems so far. I keep a spare remote in the truck, which is still accessible by key. I also have a kill switch that I installed. I'm also working on a center console insert from a modified ammo can. I'm going to use one of my two remaining lock tumblers for the center console, that way I'll have the same key as the rear door, ignition, and glove box. Here is a writeup on the carriage bolts, along with a bunch of unrelated drama...

Inexpensive Theft Deterrent (done)

My 2000 XJ got broken into; a vandal put a flathead screwdriver into the key slot and pressed down ever so slightly and the key cylinder popped out of the sheet metal of the door, pulling on the pushrod and unlocking the Jeep. Try it if you dare; knowing how simple it is to get into a late-model XJ will quickly convince you to replace the locks with carriage bolts like Markos and me.

You can still get in thru the hatchback if your remote's battery dies. And if you lock your keys in the Jeep, you can drill out the carriage bolts.

Dude the point is they didn't take the Cherokee. You don't need a switch.
They took the junk in it. Don't put that stuff in it or tie a pit bull with AIDS in it and hope they do it again.(IMO)

I have a friend who did something a bit different with his. He installed a wire from the interior lights to the horn with a switch underneath the rear bumper. when he flips the switch on it makes it so if someone opens the doors it activates the horn. I asm not sure if he has it hooked directly to the horn after the switch or if it goes to a relay but it works. he no longer worries about storing his DJ equipment in the car over night.

Sean

Back