• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke down and added bling (new muffler)...call me Ricearoni...

DMMcG

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after all of my pronouncements that "I'm going to leave the engine stock; it's got plenty of oomph and doesn't need any tweaking", I opted for a "Ravin'" Z-77 series muffler, and finally cleaned my K&N air filter. No other changes at all. Seat of the pants difference in performance! Didn't need to WOT the truck during the ascent of the Hope/Princeton (a mtn pass bit of highway that used to take intermittent WOT to maintain 100 kph) - just let her chug on up, while keeping the gauge pinned at 100 kph! I can't imagine that only a K&N and free-flow exhaust are responsible for this, but there've been no other changes to the configuration of the Jeep at all.

Love the sound (quiet, but a nice throaty note at 1,600 to 3,000 rpm) of the new Ravin' (what a stupid name!) muffler that Midas tossed on to replace the beat up stock muffler. Wasn't expecting any real performance boost...just thought that the muffler presented a nice flat profile to keep it off the rocks.

Gas mileage has also improved. Heard mixed reviews about the I6 and free-flow intake/exhaust (need for back-pressure for engine to function optimally etc etc). All I know is there's a palpable difference and am getting more miles to the tank.

Nice job Ricearoni. ;)
Backpressure is not good and the idea is to reduce it as much as possible and maximize exhaust gas velocity. Those who keep saying that the engine "needs backpressure" to work properly don't understand the real reason for having a free flow exhaust.

Back