• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake controller install

Stukboy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing a controller in my WJ. I have brakes when applied manually but not when I press the pedal.
I can't level the controller because the light doesn't change color. it just stays green.
I have brake lights and signals.
the wiring diagram shows the wire on the brake switch as being white and tan. However, the wire in pin 5 is purple and brown.
I'm working with a 2004 WJ with a 4.7.
Any thoughts???
Stukboy

What controller are you using? I dont know about the WJ, but XJ's have 2 brake switches,ones for the Cruise control.

My 2003 was the correct color....
Dumb question, but are you sure you are getting the correct harnes? Have you tested the wire to see if it is a brake signal?

Is pin 2 wht/tn?? That is what the brake position is on a 2005 WK and who knows if Jeep might have switched anything towards the end of the 2004 production run to the new stuff?

My 2003 was the correct color....
Dumb question, but are you sure you are getting the correct harnes? Have you tested the wire to see if it is a brake signal?

Is pin 2 wht/tn?? That is what the brake position is on a 2005 WK and who knows if Jeep might have switched anything towards the end of the 2004 production run to the new stuff?

Thanx for asking and yes it is the correct harness. I thought of that first.
Pin 2 is a blk ground, pin 5 is supposed to be wht/tn but it is pur/brn.

I'm 99.9% sure I didn't pierce the skin with the piggy back I used. It is for 16-18GA and the wire is reallt thin so I got some for 18-22GA.
That should fix me up.

The 05 and newer run the pins in the reverse order I believe.

This is what I followed:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/electric_brake_inst.jpg

Stukboy

You need to adj the level per the instructions.

Is the controller new? The brakes will not work correctly without the level control set properly.

FIXED!!!

The piggy back connector I put on the brake switch didn't pierce the outer sleeve of the wire.
Once I respliced it they worked fine and I was able to set the level and fine tune it.

Thanx all for the possible solutions.
Stukboy

Back