• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake caliper replacement - brands?

Jeepguy03

NAXJA Forum User
So I recently had an alignment done on my 2000 XJ. The shop test drove it and said it has a brake pull to the driver's side. I knew this, but it seems to be getting a bit more noticeable so time to change the caliper. I'm thinking if it was a hose that would make the caliper drag, and the brakes don't seem to be dragging. I only have the pull when applying the brakes.

What brands are decent for rebuilt calipers? Should I change both at the same time? My brakes are in otherwise great shape. Would it be worth upgrading to braided steel brake lines up front?

Change both calipers. Buy good parts, cheap parts are cheap for a reason. Change both soft brake hoses, regular or braided, whatever is the correct length for the lift installed.

X2 on the black magic setup...works very good. I have them on both my XJ and my TJ and love em.

One thing you might want to check before you order anything is to look where your brake pads ride on the steering knuckle. The pads can often wear groves or notches in the soft metal of the knuckle and this can cause your pads to get stuck in a groove when applying brakes, causing your brakes to pull like you describe. Easy to spot and worth checking.

A couple of months ago I bought the Black Magic kit for my XJ with Centric calipers and rotors, really great action and feel with stock-sized parts. Pair of new calipers $135 seems worth it

for your 2000 http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Jeep-XJ-4WD-2000-2001_c51.htm

Those calipers look well made. It looks like they come with new banjo bolts, but do they come with new copper washers?

I'd get the whole kit but my ceramic pads and slotted rotors still have tons of life left in them.

Also, any opinions on brake lines? I've read that the braided lines give better pedal feel.

This XJ has a 2" lift with 30" tires. I don't really do any offroading besides dirt roads (no legal trails here in CT), and the Jeep is a daily driver. I start a new job next month and will be doing a lot more highway commuting. I'm not afraid to spend the money on better quality stuff.

My kit came with them. Also the 2nd pic (here) shows 2 washers on the left caliper, so I guess they come with.

Oops, must've missed that in the pic. Thanks for the info! Were the pistons steel?

n5xl, I will check the knuckles just to make sure before I order anything.

As for the copper washers, I've never bought a new hose that did not include them, even though it did not include the banjo bolts. If you get the BM kit and new hoses you'll probably end up with spares.

Give Blaine a call at Black Magic. I'm sure he would sell you the calipers only. But, I should also mention that the Black Magic pads do provide superior stopping power.

Regarding braided lines. I've heard they provide a better pedal feel, since they don't expand as much as a standard rubber hose. Whether that is true or not (braided line is still rubber hose inside), I can't say. It could also be that they feel better, since they new lines replacing old rubber. I installed braided lines at the same time as the axle swap, moving over to the Black Magic / Vanco big brake kit, so I can't say from personal experience.

David Bricker / SYR

Thanks guys, I ended up going with the new Centric calipers from Black Magic, as well as Dorman replacement rubber brake hoses from RockAuto.

Back