• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brad Larks BBQ at the Hammers?????

Anybody else heading out that way? We're planning on heading out early tommorrow. Not going to run the hammers, but we're going to head out that way for a little fun.

fish1976 said:
Anybody else heading out that way? We're planning on heading out early tommorrow. Not going to run the hammers, but we're going to head out that way for a little fun.

Fish, i would be interested in doing something on Sunday if your available? Seems like most people are busy though.... Guess there is some kind of Super game on:doh: ....... who knows? Im just an Australian:looney:

What a blast.
The following will be a multi-post, smilie pictorial of yesterdays runs.
:compwork: I was checking out NAXJA for something to do this weekend.
:clap: Matty post up about something going on out at JV.
:shiver: But JV can get damn cold this time of year.
:twak: My 'friends' give me crap for being a weather wuss.
:moon: I tell my friends what I think about getting cold. But decide to go
anyway.
:smoker: When I get there Ron is already there.
Ken was there also.
:cheers: We have a brew or two. Then David and Kelsey show up. Also Fish
Tish and Mississippi (thier dog) arrive.
:rattle: Did I ever tell you what I think about being cold? It was F-ing freezing
:flame: Lucky for me Ron had already gotten a fire started and Ken (Santa)
had plenty of firewood.
(too be continued)

:helpme: Fish is in the early stages of building his Cherokee so we put him in Ron's rig and I take Tish and North Dakota with me.
:firedevil Ron thinks we should head on over to Sledge Hammer (or was it Wrecking ball? :dunno:
Now they don't make a smilie that would describe how Ken drug every monster bolder he could under his rig.
:roflmao: Tish, Florida and I observed.
::clap: We all made it thru by lunch time.
:firedevil David wants to try a tougher trail, so we leave my Jeep behind and I hop into Ron's. Some how we loose Ken before we reach the trail head. Maybe Ken is smarter than he looks! ;)
:repair: We made it halfway thru Wreching ball (?) before Ron breaks his front drive shaft.
:smsoap: Have I ever told you what I think about Tom Woods drive shaft quality control?

:speepin: I help as Ron welds it back up.
:looser: Ron is a great welder.
:repair: We don't make it far before the weld breaks.
:wstupid: We all pitch in this time and get it fixed in a jiffy!
:roll: We roll on up to this huge waterfall. And both Dave and Ron crawl right up it!
:worship:

We headed on back to camp where some others had arrived and Fish, Tish and Georgia got us a nice fire going. Dave hadto get on back home so he loaded up and headed out. I was soon to follow. I don't like being cold!

We had an absolute blast. Looking forward to the SoCalXJ Jambo!

See you all soon.

:wave1:

Rick R :sunshine:

bl01.jpg

bl02.jpg

bl03.jpg

bl04.jpg

bl05.jpg

bl06.jpg

bl07.jpg

bl08.jpg

--ron

I am so jealous.

I'm glad you all had a good time.

It was Dave's front driveshaft that broke not Ron's.
And I'm only giving Ron crap about his welding. I wouldn't have had a chance getting anything to hold. We didn't have much to work with. Five year old welding rod and a shaft covered in paint and oil.
It held up all the rest of the way. Including the big fall at the end of the trail.

Rick

(Who loves ya Ron? ;)

Another great time. Thankfully it warmed up during the day. But Saturday morning it was 23 degrees.

Big thanks go out Ron for welding up my
Tom wood's front shaft. I carry welding rod but have no idea how to use it. Also Rick who jump in to help with pulling the battery and grabbing tools and such while I was under the rig.

Always sucks when something breaks like a weld on what is supposed to be quality stuff.
I try very hard to make sure my junk doesn't break on the trail and this kind of break is discouraging.

Now on to some pics.
Ken
jv2-3-07009.jpg

Ron deep in the hole on Sludge

jv2-3-07007.jpg

Rick making it look easy. Thinking to himself. Who needs 37's

jv2-3-07015.jpg

David, Ron, Rick, and Santa thanks for a great time out there on the trail, and the open seats. It was a definate eye opener, I though Calico was impresive. After the quick bonzi through Sledge, Alabama, Tish and I got to go play around on the dry lake bed, trying to break some land speed records :roll: :roll: didn't quite happen though. Then puttered through some sand dunes on the way back to camp, were we meet back up with Santa, then a couple hours later David, Ron, and Rick appreared out of the dust. Again thanks for a great day. Well be seeing you out there again. Fish

You need to pay attention to when you are introduced to the family pets and get your mind off running over the same rock in front of you twice!( "BAMA" Fish and Tishes animal,Alabama is on her birth certificate though)

So i have a story for you all.

I orginally wanted to go out to JV for the BBQ on Saturday, but things came up & i couldnt make it. But i did head out Sunday.

I met Ken just as he was leaving & let me know that all had left. But i decided to go for a little drive to check some things out, as i had never been to JV before.

I had done some research on the place & found out that Aftershock was the mildest of the trails. So after finding the entrance to Aftershock i walked up the trail & little way to see what it was about. It looked like there were a few small challenging obstacles ( for 33's & truetracs ) in the first 1/2 mile. I walked back to my rig & started to head back to the lake
bed, as i wouldnt dare to wheel alone.

Half way back i met 5 rigs heading towards me. We stopped & they told me they were going to run aftershock. The group was made up of a Yota on 35's locked, a weird rangerover/buggy thing on 35's,a slightly lifted landrover???, an XJ on 31's with a rear locker only & a TJ locked in the back.

The guys in the XJ said they had run it before, and i thought if they can make it so could i. So i asked if i could run it with them.................let the fun/drama begin!

After the first few obstacles it became apparent that the rigs without traction devices bothends were really struggling. Many a highlift and tow stap were used in the first half a mile. Only the Yota, myself & the weird rangerover/buggy thingy were getting through clean. We spent ALOT of time waiting!!!

The trail became slowly more difficult as i progressed up the wash, and we were moving at a very slow pace. The landrover snapped its tie-rod & came to a halt. After a couple of hours repair making a tie-rod out of highlift handle, and only being able to turn to the right, they decided to leave the vehicle and come back the following day to salvage it.

Now it was starting to get late & as the yota and i rounded a corner near the end, i was able to witness why they called this trail Aftershock. You get to this point (0.3mile) from the end & there infront of me was a large pile of bolders reaching upward with only a faint sign of where the trail went, the AFTERSHOCK. I really didint think that my rig was capable of climing the series of large bolders & ledges. And the thought of having to drive back the way we came ,in the swiftly vanishing light was unnerving.

By the time everyone was at the base of this obstacle it was dark. The yota went up first & only strugged slightly in a couple of sections. I was next & with the help of some great spotting, great flashlight control, & lucky driving i managed to get up this thing. My XJ really amazed & impressed me.

Only the Yota and i made it up & the others turned back for their long drive out. I was relieved to make it up & over the last few obstacles in the dark.

So 6 hours after we started (yes 6 hours, i know those of you with more experience & bigger rigs are chuckeling now) 2 of us finally made the exit.

This was the easiest trail in JV and now i have experienced a new level of wheeling, and so has my XJ. The once shiney smooth doors, now have scars to remind me of my adventure & just a glance at any other part under my jeep looks like it was in a fight with a buzz saw.

I have new found respect for those of you that drive the real trails in JV (the hammers) & i'll end up spending more money on my junk to make it more capable for when i return. (with experienced NAXJA drivers in capable rigs).

Just thought i'd share it with you.:conceited

mattyj074 said:
So i have a story for you all.

I orginally wanted to go out to JV for the BBQ on Saturday, but things came up & i couldnt make it. But i did head out Sunday.

I met Ken just as he was leaving & let me know that all had left. But i decided to go for a little drive to check some things out, as i had never been to JV before.

I had done some research on the place & found out that Aftershock was the mildest of the trails. So after finding the entrance to Aftershock i walked up the trail & little way to see what it was about. It looked like there were a few small challenging obstacles ( for 33's & truetracs ) in the first 1/2 mile. I walked back to my rig & started to head back to the lake
bed, as i wouldnt dare to wheel alone.

Half way back i met 5 rigs heading towards me. We stopped & they told me they were going to run aftershock. The group was made up of a Yota on 35's locked, a weird rangerover/buggy thing on 35's,a slightly lifted landrover???, an XJ on 31's with a rear locker only & a TJ locked in the back.

The guys in the XJ said they had run it before, and i thought if they can make it so could i. So i asked if i could run it with them.................let the fun/drama begin!

After the first few obstacles it became apparent that the rigs without traction devices bothends were really struggling. Many a highlift and tow stap were used in the first half a mile. Only the Yota, myself & the weird rangerover/buggy thingy were getting through clean. We spent ALOT of time waiting!!!

The trail became slowly more difficult as i progressed up the wash, and we were moving at a very slow pace. The landrover snapped its tie-rod & came to a halt. After a couple of hours repair making a tie-rod out of highlift handle, and only being able to turn to the right, they decided to leave the vehicle and come back the following day to salvage it.

Now it was starting to get late & as the yota and i rounded a corner near the end, i was able to witness why they called this trail Aftershock. You get to this point (0.3mile) from the end & there infront of me was a large pile of bolders reaching upward with only a faint sign of where the trail went, the AFTERSHOCK. I really didint think that my rig was capable of climing the series of large bolders & ledges. And the thought of having to drive back the way we came ,in the swiftly vanishing light was unnerving.

By the time everyone was at the base of this obstacle it was dark. The yota went up first & only strugged slightly in a couple of sections. I was next & with the help of some great spotting, great flashlight control, & lucky driving i managed to get up this thing. My XJ really amazed & impressed me.

Only the Yota and i made it up & the others turned back for their long drive out. I was relieved to make it up & over the last few obstacles in the dark.

So 6 hours after we started (yes 6 hours, i know those of you with more experience & bigger rigs are chuckeling now) 2 of us finally made the exit.

This was the easiest trail in JV and now i have experienced a new level of wheeling, and so has my XJ. The once shiney smooth doors, now have scars to remind me of my adventure & just a glance at any other part under my jeep looks like it was in a fight with a buzz saw.

I have new found respect for those of you that drive the real trails in JV (the hammers) & i'll end up spending more money on my junk to make it more capable for when i return. (with experienced NAXJA drivers in capable rigs).

Just thought i'd share it with you.:conceited

I am glad to see you enjoyed it. It is very addicting out there ;)

Sorry you didn't make it out with the rest of us Matty, but I am glad you got to exsperience the adventure that JV is. I hadto leave my Cherokee on Clawhammer overnight last year. From the time I entered claw to the time I left claw it was 22 hours! (my personal record for any trail :clap:)
Lockers front and rear and 33's. I think that should be a great start for you!
BTW are you telling us you missed the Super Bowl??? ;)
Rick

Back