• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt snapped off in rear yoke on C8.25, Help!

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
Installing new rear end got all the way done, except there was enough crap built up in the threads when I was trying to I stall the drive shaft at the very end one of the bolt snapped leaving half the bill in the threads. What are my options?

Edit: I have the other C8.25 (27 spline) can I pull the yoke off that one and put it on the 29 spline I replaced it with?

Well that's what I did.... but three of the 4 screws are toast due to over torque. Need to get 4 new screws to hold the end caps to the rear yoke.

Anyone know the size and thread of the screws? Or is this a dealer type item I should get?

Will get this. Do they carry this kind of thing at 4wheel part stores? Hope to get it Monday, curse Amazon does not have same day delivery with their drones in my area...

Like they said, switch to u-bolts. The caps of the strap bolts catch on rocks. BUT DO NOT over-torque the u-bolts! They put much more stress on the u-joints caps than straps, and if you use too much torque, they'll shell the u-joint.

You can drill out the holes as suggested, but on many the back of the yoke isn't terribly flat. That isn't great. So you can just buy a yoke that is made for it, if you are willing to spend $40 on reliability. Part# is the Spicer 2-4-8091x. And heck, if you are ordering parts, you may as well get the Spicer u-bolt kits (2-94-28x).

Paul

Are the nuts for the yokes a crushed nut style where after removal they should be discarded?

Not to worry about rocks at the moment. Right now I just need to get it able to drive again. I need to replace the rear leaf springs as my HD ones from Crane are now a bit sagging. I will look at swaping out the yoke and straps for this kind of thing when I do the leaf springs in the fall. For the torque does the straps tell you what the torque should be? Or would it be the same TQ as you put on the bolts with the OEM style of straps.

Thanks for all the help.

Back