• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boatsides

Capt Nemo, sorry, I didnt get any pictures for you. But XJ Ranger pretty much explained how to get in and out. If you can get in and out of a lifted XJ, you can do this.

No problem. I was just curious. I'm not that old yet, and my last rig was on 37's - so looks like I'll be okay ;)

Get 'ur done! Get 'ur done!

I want to check it out this weekend. :D

Get 'ur done! Get 'ur done!

I want to check it out this weekend. :D
I assume you will be in the buggy? Wanna swap tires with me? I hear MTRs are the next best thing for KOH '10!

Im making a list for myself so I can figure out what I need to do, and so hopefully I dont forget anything.

-Cut angle iron for skid material support
-Final cut, weld on, and add extra supports for the rock rail bars
-Cut out plate that goes on top of the spring hanger on the drivers side
-Cut out another leg to go on plate
-Cut and reweld floor right by drivers feet.
-Re notch C pillar bars so halo will actually sit in the notch
-Final weld the rest of the cage
-Drill final seat belt mounts, and install
-Go to store and pick up some breather tube to wrap around ARB air line to hopefully prevent it from rubbing and getting to hot.
-Disassemble ARB compressor and install new air tank (hopefully it will get here on Friday)
-Grease CTM Ujoints
-Figure out WTF I am going to do about the breather hose for my front axle
-Make some sort of bracket for my limit straps on the front axle
-Figure out why my breather hose on my tranny fell out
-Cut expanded steel to add for support on the boatsides
-Cut out the plastic I will be using for the boatsides
-Figure out HowTF Im going to attach the skins onto the boatsides
-Get spare tire mounted on new wheel
-Possibly do some gusseting for the cage (Im hoping I can incorporate some cool tie down places for things like coolers, bags, spare tire, etc)
-Final install the ARB
-Get the hitch installed on the tow rig
-Get new tires put on the tow rig
-Find a trailer (renting)
-Install new brake controller

I think thats it. Small list I know. Saturday is coming up way to fast. :tear:

I assume you will be in the buggy? Wanna swap tires with me? I hear MTRs are the next best thing for KOH '10!

Im making a list for myself so I can figure out what I need to do, and so hopefully I dont forget anything.

-Final cut, weld on, and add extra supports for the rock rail bars(Got passenger side on, one more support needs to be welded on)
-Cut and reweld floor right by drivers feet.(Got 75% of that done. I *&%$ing hate sheet metal work, especially hard to clean metal that happens to be right by the fuse box)
-Final weld the rest of the cage(Got 4 out of 6 legs going up to the halo done. Need to turn the Jeep around to get the other two. Also got a couple joints on the X done)
-Drill final seat belt mounts, and install(Got the brackets all cut out. Got the drivers side all welded up)
-Go to store and pick up some breather tube to wrap around ARB air line to hopefully prevent it from rubbing and getting to hot. (Got that, but have not sleeved the air line yet. )
-Disassemble ARB compressor and install new air tank (hopefully it will get here on Friday)
-Grease CTM Ujoints
-Possibly do some gusseting for the cage (Im hoping I can incorporate some cool tie down places for things like coolers, bags, spare tire, etc)
-Final install the ARB
-Install new brake controller

I think thats it. Small list I know. Saturday is coming up way to fast. :tear:
Feels like I got even less done today. :banghead:

It took me almost two hours to finally find a trailer to rent. Its amazing that companies that rent equipment like trailers employ people who dont know what trailer brakes are:confused1

Also, I think Budget Rentals (who dont rent trailers unless you rent a truck as well) uses a call center in India or somewhere like that. Took me about 15 minutes to get the couple of guys who I talked with what I was trying to find, and then they still didnt understand what I wanted.

Anyway, Im hoping tomorrow I will get off work early so I can come home and get some more things done. Also, does anyone know how the fawk you change the door windows?

Pics

Here is what we did with the interior panel for the door. Cut the "carboard" backing, and folded over the vinyl and glued with some Gorilla Glue.
001-7.jpg

003-8.jpg

I cut off this lip that holds on the door seal, tack welded it on, and used some caulking to seal it up all the way. Turned out pretty good once its all painted (I didnt grab a pic of that)
008-6.jpg

The slidder bar. I guestimated that the AJs Super Rails that I had on there before stuck out around 4'' from the bottom of the door. Thats about the same as what I have now, so they stick out 4''. Im not sure if I will like it or not now that its a lot higher, but time will tell. You can also kind of see the door seal thing in the background
010-5.jpg

012-1.jpg

And finally, the halo back on and door put on.
020.jpg

its all coming together now.

still lookin good too.

Got most of the welding done today. Need to go get more gas tomorrow, flip the Jeep around, and finish the welding.

I have all the seat mounts and seat belt brackets done. Boatside on the passenger side is pretty much done. Drivers side still has a lot of work to be done on it, but I hope that wont take very long.

I can kind of sorta see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now for the most important decisions. What color should I paint the interior cage? I have flat black, or semi gloss white. The "exo" and rockers will be white, and Im thinking the interior part of the cage should be white as well. I am thinking white will not show up as much as black will, but who knows. Anyone have input on this tough decision?

Flat colors tend to be easier to scratch from what I have found, what ever you do for the inside pad the cage!

-Alex

My head is nowhere near the bars, so I dont think Ill worry about that now. If my head does come into contact with the tube I have bigger issues such as a broken neck/back/ etc. I also dont have time.

I leave tomorrow afternoon, and Im not done yet. (n)

Lets see. Progress.

This is how I will be supporting the plastic. There is the bar in the center, and then my friend Foster had a damn good idea of using angle iron to support it right at the frame and underside of the rocker. I was going to use plate, and he suggested the angle iron. Saved me hours of work. :eek:
002-8.jpg

003-9.jpg

I couldnt really find any good pictures of seat mounts, so these are here to help people get some ideas. The second picture is the rear mount, and it has two seat brackets, and two seat belt brackets.
004-6.jpg

007-3.jpg

Here is the X and seat belt bars. You can see the small bracket on the lower part of the X where the seatbelt will bolt up.
006-6.jpg

This is the door sill thing I was talking about earlier. Here it is sealed and painted. Looks pretty good. Dont think Ill have time to do the drivers side, but the passenger side is all fancy.
008-7.jpg

Painted
010-6.jpg

011-2.jpg

Here is the air tank for my ARB compressor. They got it to me by 2nd day air because I had a wheeling trip :guitar:It was a royal pita to get it on, but its there. Remind me why I wanted an ARB rather then a Detroit?
012-2.jpg

Here is the plate I used to seal the holes in the roof as well as tie it into the cage. I just used a hole saw and slipped them over the tube when I took the halo off for final welding. Excuse the shitty welds.
013-2.jpg

Footplates for the rear C pillar. Drivers side was a bitch because of the gas tank filler.
016.jpg

017.jpg

This is how Im supporting the spring hangers. There are two tubes going up to the rocker now to help support it. Eventually I will plate the boxes with 1/8'' and tie that into the boatside.
018.jpg

019.jpg

Nickandgus stopped by and made me supper jelous of his 231/300 and flat belly skid, plus raised gas tank. One of these days......
022-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

Between my front axle and boatsides, there is 10lbs of wire in there. Damn.
025-1.jpg

Getting there.
028.jpg

And finally, starting to paint things. Had to knock off for the night since it was 1130 and the neighbors, although cool, dont really like grinders and hammering going on that late.
029-1.jpg

You might be a redneck if..... you get a tan line from welding.:doh:
031.jpg

List time
-Final cut, weld on, and add extra supports for the rock rail bars
-Cut and reweld floor right by drivers feet.(Got 75% of that done. I *&%$ing hate sheet metal work, especially hard to clean metal that happens to be right by the fuse box)
-Final weld the rest of the cage
-Drill final seat belt mounts, and install
-Go to store and pick up some breather tube to wrap around ARB air line to hopefully prevent it from rubbing and getting to hot. (Got that, but have not sleeved the air line yet. )
-Disassemble ARB compressor and install new air tank
-Grease CTM Ujoints
-Final install the ARB
-Install new brake controller Not needed for this trip, so Im not worrying about it.

Soooo close, and yet so far. Its going to be tight.

Dude where the hell are the pictures of the finished product??? Come on man...

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ITS A JEEP!!!!!!!!!!! IT WILL NEVER BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gotta ask, why did you spend all that time boatsiding your jeep then throw those bars out there to snag on things??? other than that i love the boatside job!! looks killer, just dont like the sliders

gotta ask, why did you spend all that time boatsiding your jeep then throw those bars out there to snag on things??? other than that i love the boatside job!! looks killer, just dont like the sliders

I didn't have the slider bars on my rockers for a while and found that the rocks ate my doors when I pivoted and I didn't have anywhere to attach my hi-lift when needed. That added distance that the sliders extend out was just enough to keep the rocks off my body and use the hi-lift.

They may be out a tad far, but they'll be found as more of a help than a hinderance.

Sorry, internet took awhile to actually get, and then the whole school junk got in the way after that.
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ITS A JEEP!!!!!!!!!!! IT WILL NEVER BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The main part of this project is "done." Its in a "wheelable" state with a couple of changes that I have to do, but other then that, I can go out and wheel. Notice the "", that will be explained later.

I didn't have the slider bars on my rockers for a while and found that the rocks ate my doors when I pivoted and I didn't have anywhere to attach my hi-lift when needed. That added distance that the sliders extend out was just enough to keep the rocks off my body and use the hi-lift.

They may be out a tad far, but they'll be found as more of a help than a hinderance.
Like Capt Nemo said, the slidder bar things I have actually found to be good thing rather then a bad thing.

When I had them on my AJs Super Rails I used them all the time to pivot around rocks, a place to use a hi lift (mainly to debead tires), and a step to walk on. I have some skateboard decktape I was thinking about putting on the top of the rails, but Im not sure how it will fair when it gets wet.

edit: Photbucket is being dumb again, so Ill post some pics later today. Hopefully.

Last edited:
I have some skateboard decktape I was thinking about putting on the top of the rails, but Im not sure how it will fair when it gets wet.

Just a warning about doing this. If you wear shorts you WILL kill the back of your legs. I thought it was a great idea on my AJs rails too and now I really wish I wouldn't have done it. Both of my kids and I have been attacked by that stuff. It hurts.

Back