• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

boat side pics wanted

evil dead said:
sloop24.jpg

One of my all time favorite builds...PERIOD!

Same here!
bowdown.gif
I'm thinking of buying him a gift just so I can go see it when I head up to Reno this Christmas :D
Billy

vetteboy said:
Better watch out for those protractor-carrying rocks... :wierd:

In NJ my street-legality is mostly determined by a maximum height of the door edge from the ground. I'm at the maximum right now.

If I wanted a trailer-only rig, I probably would have done it differently. I probably wouldn't have used an XJ at all.
Those rocks are getting smarter and smarter.

JeepFreak21 said:
Doors... yes. Windows... maybe. Stock lower door hinge... no way.
Billy

So what your saying is the door will have to be severely messed with. Not sure I have the skills to do that and keep everything water tight.

My bottom hinge is totally gone. Well, the place where my bottom hinge would be if I had doors anyway...

With my cage, figuring out functional door has been a real PITA - which is why I have none... However, with stock door jambs mostly intact, a clever person could raise the lower hinge point a couple inches, rework the bottom of the door, and still keep it functional. Watertight would be more work, so I would suggest trying to use the original bottom of the door and top of the rocker (like 'sectioning' your door if you will...)

The windows would definitely not fully roll down - think back windows on most small 4-door cars...

if my rocker rots, cutting the door frame would definitely be an option but I would love to keep my doors functional... vette where do your boat sides tie into the underside?

vetteboy said:
Better watch out for those protractor-carrying rocks... :wierd:

In NJ my street-legality is mostly determined by a maximum height of the door edge from the ground. I'm at the maximum right now.

If I wanted a trailer-only rig, I probably would have done it differently. I probably wouldn't have used an XJ at all.

Wouldn't that be "ruler-carrying rocks"?

JeepFreak21 said:
Doors... yes. Windows... maybe. Stock lower door hinge... no way.
Billy

If you can have doors you can have windows. That doesn't mean they can roll down, though. ;)

Zebaru said:
My bottom hinge is totally gone. Well, the place where my bottom hinge would be if I had doors anyway...

With my cage, figuring out functional door has been a real PITA - which is why I have none... However, with stock door jambs mostly intact, a clever person could raise the lower hinge point a couple inches, rework the bottom of the door, and still keep it functional. Watertight would be more work, so I would suggest trying to use the original bottom of the door and top of the rocker (like 'sectioning' your door if you will...)

The windows would definitely not fully roll down - think back windows on most small 4-door cars...

I looked into it at one point. Raising the lower hinge would be a MAJOR PITA. The window only goes down to the first body line on the door. The mechanism goes a little farther, but could probably be reworked. If your boatsides started at that first body line (from the bottom of the door up), you'd gain 6-8" and your window may still roll down all the way.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
I looked into it at one point. Raising the lower hinge would be a MAJOR PITA. The window only goes down to the first body line on the door. The mechanism goes a little farther, but could probably be reworked. If your boatsides started at that first body line (from the bottom of the door up), you'd gain 6-8" and your window may still roll down all the way.
Billy

I hacked apart doors with power windows, and that mechanism pretty much goes to the botttom, which is why I said they wouldnt fully roll down - but I guess I hadn't considered manual cranks for some reason...

One problem with cutting at the first body line, and still trying to keep the original door bottom sealing system intact, is that your new door bottom is an inch or so above that line.

I have the inside door frames leftover from my skins, maybe if I get bored one day I will do some mock-up to see what is possible...

polar_jeep_04 said:
anyone know the specs on this one?

I just realised that most pics in the build thread are now gone. I will have to throw some new ones up some day... The details are in there though, and they are okay without pics for the most part

Other than the stuff you can see (cage, etc...):

D30/D44 4.88's, lock-rites, MORE type steering conversion, 3" lift - Rusty's springs, Slight (2.5") wheelbase stretch in back.

Basically a very run-of-the mill XJ other than the body work. Many have questioned the effort put in to just have a rig on 33's. Maybe overkill, but I sure love the boatsides...

Then again, they are only 38 degrees, so maybe not boatsides according to some...

Zebaru said:
I hacked apart doors with power windows, and that mechanism pretty much goes to the botttom, which is why I said they wouldnt fully roll down - but I guess I hadn't considered manual cranks for some reason...

One problem with cutting at the first body line, and still trying to keep the original door bottom sealing system intact, is that your new door bottom is an inch or so above that line.

I have the inside door frames leftover from my skins, maybe if I get bored one day I will do some mock-up to see what is possible...

Yeah, I've only looked at the manual ones :dunno: It looked like the part that attaches the window to the crank assembly went un-necessarily low, but maybe I was wrong about the un-necessarily part :D

I did put some thought into that seal..... I figured, worst case scenario, you could put a small "step" (Kinda shaped like this: __|^^ )in the bottom of the door and make it match to the area that would be under the door when it's closed. Just enough to get a 1/2" bulb seal on there. I would prefer to have the area under the door be flat (for when the doors are off), but I think it would work.

Billy

Back