• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown out control arm bushings

GirlScout1

NAXJA Forum User
My last wheeling trip I blew out three of my four LCA bushings. Now I'm running about 5" lift and these were in after market control arms (I will not mention the make). So I just ordered a set of RE adjustable LCAs hoping that the main reason I blew them out is because the angle is so steep on them. I am alreading running adjustable UCAs. Haven't had the cabbage to order drop brackets yet so i'm contemplating not putting them on until after I do.
However, I know it was mainly from the stress of flexing these arms. Here is my main question. ANybody running adjustable arms loosen up their jam nut when wheeling to allow more twist? I know by doing this it would reduce the stress considerably. Just want to hear some oponions.

the angle is gonna be nearly the same on the arm with adjustable arms. just will let you adjust your pinion now is all. cant answer your question though

I asked the same thing a while back. I got the answer of you may be able to but it depends on the strength of the threads. I've got the RE arms as well. I do know that mine have loosened up on me and I not know it for a while so it's quite possible. I'd be curious to see what others have to say about this again.

jam nuts are there for a reason they keep the threads tight. I once left one of my lower jam nuts loose by accident and noticed a lot of clunking i looked all around and finaly found it to be the jam nut. i would say that your prob is not that the arms need ot rotate but that your are over flexing your suspension.

as you droop one side you twist the axle putting huge forces on the bushings that's why many people run radius arms with one upper removed or a 3 link style suspension eliminating the binding that goes on. with a 4 link like you have you need to have some where for the rotational forces to go and they are going right into your bushings and tearing them appart buy some better bushings.

i'm not an expert at link suspensions but afterthinking about if for 30s or so i think drop bracket's migt help

BJ- I agree with most of what you are saying. I know it is alot of force on the bushings but the is the second time I blew out bushings on one of the arms. When I went to replace the bushing, the new cup just dropped right in. didn't even have to tap it in and yes both the arm and bushing cup are tapered. It just ticks me off the it was like that after even though it was only done while doing DD duties. I'm extremely unhappy and will never buy a suspension product from them again.

Instead of a bushing (which can be troublesome - I've had the same issue), why not try a RE Wohnny Joint (superflex joint), Jimmy Joint from Poly Performance or Johnny Joint from Currie?

The RE might be a press in as the other two are weld in.

GirlScout1 said:
ANybody running adjustable arms loosen up their jam nut when wheeling to allow more twist? I know by doing this it would reduce the stress considerably. Just want to hear some oponions.

Yeah i loosen mine and retighten 'em after, releases some tension and allows them to twist/roll with the flow so to speak. Ah hell who knows but that's what i tell myself.

Back