• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blowing Smoke up your......

You could have worn piston rings that are causing enough blowby to increase crankcase pressure to the extent that it's also causing a rear main seal leak. Do a compression check on all cylinders to see what it is. If it's below 120psi and it improves significantly when you squirt oil into the cylinders, you definitely have worn rings.
I suggest that you also remove the valve cover and clean it inside thoroughly, particularly the crankcase vents. Also clean the inside of the vent tubes coming off the valve cover and make sure they're patent. That'll at least rule out a blocked CCV system as a possible cause of rear main seal oil leakage.

there is also a possibility of bad valve seals. that could also cause some driveability probs if the plugs are getting oil fouled. that happened to my 89 at about 150000 miles. also make sure the ccv system is functioning properly and the crank case isnt overfilled.

Alright, I got underneath the Jeep last night and cleaned and figured out where the leak is coming from. I am pretty sure that it is the Rear Main Seal. I was wondering is there anything I can do right now to kind of stop/slow down the leak until I replace the rear main seal? Like put a sock in it or something? I think the seal i totally gone, cause it leaks quite a bit of oil. The smoke is just bothering me, it comes out all over. When driving it blows to the back of the Jeep and when I come to a stop it just billows out from the wheel well areas and the front. It's very annoying, but I won't be able to fix it until next week, and with my Mustang being broke (not driveable) I kind of rely on the Jeep. So, if there is something I can put up in that area or something to just stop the smoke or make it less for now??

Back