• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blood suckers in Police uniforms.

I'm not so sure about the warrant.

It appeared to be treated as if it was a breathalizer. It implied that if you have a license, you have already given your consent. And that refusal at the time of arrest simply gets your lic revoked.

Ron

As far as checks and balances goes for DUI arrests, there is absolutely no motivation for the Police in regards to financial gain by switching blood or putting a different name on it and re-submitting it. In addition, the impounding procedure is so specific that there is no way you could duplicate vials and not get caught b/c of serial numbers and inventory records. AZ has a law that can force the drunk to pay for the costs incurred during their jail stay, but it is not enforced usually.

Where there is a will there is a way. You are way too trusting Uncle Sam and his minions. The more complicated the procedure the easier it is to screw up. Given time people get lazy, sloppy and overconfident. I guarantee you I could find flaws in the system.
If there systems are so perfect, how did this happen:

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2003/03/16/856/52154

http://blog.kir.com/archives/000989.asp

"Houston Crime Lab scandal hits the NY Times You know that a local scandal has hit the big-time when the New York Times finally notices it.
This NY Times article reports on the embarrassing scandal involving Houston's Crime Laboratory, which was already relling from the requirement that it retest evidence that it provided in 360 cases, now faces a much larger crisis that could involve many thousands of cases over 25 years. In a report to be filed in a Houston state court on Thursday, six independent forensic scientists said that a crime laboratory officials -- because they either lacked basic knowledge of blood typing or gave false testimony -- may have offered "false and scientifically unsound" reports and testimony in thousands of criminal cases. The panel called for a comprehensive audit spanning decades to re-examine the results of a broad array of rudimentary tests on blood, semen and other bodily fluids."

Or this one:

"Houston Crime Lab Scandal: After DNA Proves Innocence By Jeralyn, Section Innocence Cases
Posted on Sun Mar 16, 2003 at 09:44:03 AM EST

"For Josiah Sutton, the Houston man released from prison last week after DNA tests concluded he could not have been the rapist prosecutors said he was, there would be no more football heroics, no prom or graduation, no shot at a gridiron scholarship. But thanks to the momentum to reopen old criminal cases, generated by a burgeoning scandal in the Houston Police Department crime lab, there may be a future."
Josiah's story is one we are hearing far too often.
Sutton was arrested Oct. 30, 1998, five days after a woman had been taken at gunpoint from her southwest Houston apartment, raped by two attackers and dumped in a field in Fort Bend County. Sutton, who was 16 at the time, was walking down the street with a friend when the woman, driving past in her car, identified them as her assailants. She would later testify that she recognized them by their hats, which looked like the ones worn by the men who raped her.
Once charged with kidnapping and rape, Sutton and his friend submitted saliva and blood for comparison to material recovered from the attack. DNA tests conducted by the now-discredited HPD lab ruled out Sutton's friend as one of the rapists but included him.
At his trial, an HPD analyst testified that DNA from the rape was an exact match for Sutton, who turned 17 in jail while awaiting trial. But new tests of the samples have found the DNA of two unidentified men, neither of whom could be Sutton.​
At 17, here are some of the things he witnessed and had to learn to be prepared to defend himself against, according to his mother, Carol Batie:
In the early months of his incarceration, Sutton faced a difficult adjustment to the Clemens Unit in Brazoria. "This was a (teenager) physically defending himself against men," Batie said. "He witnessed another inmate getting his throat slashed. He saw the guy lying on the ground kicking, dying before his eyes.
"He saw another prisoner die after he was thrown over a railing. These are not things my child should have been watching."​
Sutton served 4 1/2 years before being released last week. He had been captain of his high school football team and on his way to earning a football scholarship for college when he was arrested. He had attracted the interest of college scouts in his sophomore year. What's ahead for him now?
Sutton, who already has a GED, wants to go to school. He would like to revive an old talent that earned the family extra cash when he was a teen, cutting hair, and may one day open his own barbershop. After he walked out of the jail, Sutton declared, "I am looking for success, period."​
The Houston Chronicle has full and excellent coverage the Houston crime lab scandal, including today, an article about a prosecutor's shaken faith in the system, and another on the increased use and precision of DNA testing ."

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about the warrant.

Here, being El Paso, TX, will issue a blood-draw warrant if you refuse a breathalyzer.

It's pretty simple, don't drink and drive. If you're not sure if you've had to much call a cab.

If someone has a better idea of how to stop drunks from driving I'd love to hear it.

Here, being El Paso, TX, will issue a blood-draw warrant if you refuse a breathalyzer.

It's pretty simple, don't drink and drive. If you're not sure if you've had to much call a cab.

If someone has a better idea of how to stop drunks from driving I'd love to hear it.

You forgot to mention they can get you here just for having an open beverage container, and for DUI, Driving Under the Influence which has no lower blood limit that I know of?

So the safest thing is just don't drink period.

In my case I never know when one of my kids might call with an emergency in the wee hours of the bloody morning, and thus I might need to jump in the jeep and drive, so I don't drink at all. Haven't touched the stuff in 15 years. And I am Irish, so maybe that is why I am so annoying around here, LOL.

Something in the German law, that if the breathalizer is ambigious or questionable, with your permission, they can draw blood as an alternative. I'm not sure about the newest laws, but the trend is towards blood tests (and your refusale to take one), getting more and more difficult to avoid.
False positives on the breathilizer are fairly common, mouthwash and other things will do it.
I don't drink and drive, I drink rarely anyway, so I don't worry about it very much.
Just a possible pit fall, my youngest daughter faints most every time she gives up a blood test. The time before last she came out of a blood drawing chair feet first and hit the wall opposite the chair. The next time she collapsed and radial fractured her femur. Blood tests aren't for everyone.

just another string of lawsuits waiting to happen if you ask me. Also, for all of you who say just don't drink and drive remember, most of us drive jeeps, which means we are always following whatever ruts and crowns any particular road may have to offer. I have been pulled over before and checked for suspicion when I was stone sober. Not to mention if you take a little alcohol/drug use, add a substantial fear of needles AND a fear of going to prison you may just have another twig on the back of some jackass that will make him flip out and injure himself or some cop. Now you also have some drug user with HIV or some other serious bloodborne pathogen and you have just added one more deadly weapon into the mix.

You forgot to mention they can get you here just for having an open beverage container, and for DUI, Driving Under the Influence which has no lower blood limit that I know of?

So the safest thing is just don't drink period.

In my case I never know when one of my kids might call with an emergency in the wee hours of the bloody morning, and thus I might need to jump in the jeep and drive, so I don't drink at all. Haven't touched the stuff in 15 years. And I am Irish, so maybe that is why I am so annoying around here, LOL.

The open container, well I don't really see the point. Nothing good can come from driving around with your buddies pounding beers in the car. It just doesn't pass the common sense test.

I wouldn't say not to drink, but if going to drink no matter how much don't drive. It's pretty easy, I don't understand how anyone has an issue with it.

That is a pretty good idea about not drinking just incase you have to go fetch your kids.

Something in the German law, that if the breathalizer is ambigious or questionable, with your permission, they can draw blood as an alternative. I'm not sure about the newest laws, but the trend is towards blood tests (and your refusale to take one), getting more and more difficult to avoid.
False positives on the breathilizer are fairly common, mouthwash and other things will do it.
I don't drink and drive, I drink rarely anyway, so I don't worry about it very much.
Just a possible pit fall, my youngest daughter faints most every time she gives up a blood test. The time before last she came out of a blood drawing chair feet first and hit the wall opposite the chair. The next time she collapsed and radial fractured her femur. Blood tests aren't for everyone.

I know a couple guys who had to give up blood in Germany. The cops called an ambulance and then the EMTs drew the blood on the spot. Needless to say they were standing on the carpet a couple of weeks later.

I know a couple guys who had to give up blood in Germany. The cops called an ambulance and then the EMTs drew the blood on the spot. Needless to say they were standing on the carpet a couple of weeks later.
The last time I was stopped at a drunk check, it was on a massive scale, right in the middle of a bridge. They had a nine passenger bus there and when it was full they'd make a run to the hospital for blood tests, if you were unwilling to accept the breathalizer results. I'm not actually sure if the blood tests were voluntary or not, though they did ask. If nobody in the vehicle was sober enough to drive, they had tow trucks and Taxi cabs.
I wasn't real worried, I hadn't had anything to drink in months and a get out of jail free, ID card, I usually don't flash around much. I hadn't slept in like twenty hours when I was stopped and likely appeared more than a little dopey. I did have to walk back to my truck from the Hospital though and was sure enough glad it hadn't been towed off.

The last time I was stopped at a drunk check, it was on a massive scale, right in the middle of a bridge. They had a nine passenger bus there and when it was full they'd make a run to the hospital for blood tests, if you were unwilling to accept the breathalizer results. I'm not actually sure if the blood tests were voluntary or not, though they did ask. If nobody in the vehicle was sober enough to drive, they had tow trucks and Taxi cabs.
I wasn't real worried, I hadn't had anything to drink in months and a get out of jail free, ID card, I usually don't flash around much. I hadn't slept in like twenty hours when I was stopped and likely appeared more than a little dopey. I did have to walk back to my truck from the Hospital though and was sure enough glad it hadn't been towed off.
what, they wouldn't bring you back in the bus on the return trip? what kind of service is that :( :flamemad:

My personal rule on drinking and driving is - if I've had anything with hard liquor in it or 3+ beers, 8 hours of sleep is required. If I've had one or two beers, it had better be 2 hours between the end of the last beer and when I get in the car, and if I feel even slightly buzzed I'll kick the seat back and take a nap first.

I'm not actually sure if the blood tests were voluntary or not, though they did ask.

Yea I'm not to sure about the voluntary portion of that either. I've always been told that they are going to get their blood one way or another. The guy I know who refused to give blood, or at least he said he did, came to work on Monday black and blue.
True or not I don't know but I know that I don't mess around when it comes to the German cops.

Yea I'm not to sure about the voluntary portion of that either. I've always been told that they are going to get their blood one way or another. The guy I know who refused to give blood, or at least he said he did, came to work on Monday black and blue.
True or not I don't know but I know that I don't mess around when it comes to the German cops.

He probably just fell off the bus. :rolleyes:

The main concern should be a DNA database, as well as an easy source of plantable dna evidence. I'm all for proper police work. However, it seems that the work side of it seems to be taken out of the mix. Should I charge them with DWI or DUI, well, wait for the test to come back. You took cough meds, or some other medication that shows up, DUI. See the problem? As far as keeping your blood in a lab as evidence, that is scary. I believe most police are trying to do a crappy job, and doing there dead level best to be honest, and proper. However, all it would, will take is one individual to plant some blood at a crime scene to make that person guilty. I know personally, an officer whom tells of one of the lowest points in his life. He was preparing to run a drug raid with another narcotics officer we'll call him x in a hotel room. The other officer x was really high strung. He called this officer into the bathroom, when the first walked in officer x had a syringe stuck in his arm and could not find a vein. Seems officer x needed some heroin to come down from all the meth he was on. The first officer said he ran the raids and warned x of death awaiting if x did not quit the force. There are bad people in the world, looking for the easy way out. We as a nation need to do what is right, not because we fear getting caught, but, because it is the right thing to do.

Back