• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Block Heater Installation

bdtsr

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a ZeroStart 1000 watt tank type block heater for my '98 XJ 4.0 and judging by the instructions and where everything needs to go, I am at a loss here. The heater lines are on the passenger side, the block drains and lower radiator hose are on the drivers side. A hose would have to go around/under the engine somewhere. Has anyone installed this type off heater before? I would like to know how the hoses were ran and how it performs. Leaving for work at 5:30am, it would be nice not to let it run to warm up as long and have a defroster right away. Of course I don't want to wait until July to get it in!

do a search on this subject, if not here then in the modified section. This topic was brought up before.

In that post I replied with some info I was told by my local Napa guy.
They will no longer sell the hose type only the engine block type, goes in place of a freeze plug.
This was due to multiple underhood fires due to the hose melting and catching on fire.

Just my .02

First, I did do a search. Second, the unit I bought has a thermal cutout for high temperature (not in water). Third, the tank type of heater I have was not discussed, only freeze plug, dipstick and magnetic types were discussed. Please, if you know there was a thread, then by all means help a person out. Otherwise it's frustrating having someone tell you "Do a search" after you JUST spent an hour doing so.

I wish I could help, but I haven't installed a tank heater in too many years to remember how. I've been using freeze plug replacement block heaters. they go into block under intake manifold by alternator. Have to remove alternator to install. Then knock freeze plug out and put heater in place of it. Of course drain coolant before doing it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good Luck!

lloyd, thanks for the reply. I went with the tank type because it circulates the coolant to warm the entire engine. Installing this thing is not really hard, just a pita and I was hoping that someone might have done one already and be able to provide some advise. No biggie. I'll get it figured out on Saturday when I have some more time. Thanks again.

(no experience behind this just a guess)
seems to me like it would want to go in the lower rad. hose that way it is heating the block and then circulating thru the heater core (if you have a vacume leake the heater controll valve might close). if you install it on the heater hose lines it is all well and good for the heater core but seems like it would be dumping all the hot water it has just made into the rad. right after the heater core kinda defeating the purpose of heating the block.

I have no experience with the tank type either. I considered the in hose type a while ago but XJ4PLAY shot that one down :laugh3: . The guys at my NAPA sware they've never heard of anything going bad with them but I'd rather be safe. I bought a freeze plug type today for 24 bones. I'm not looking forward to putting it in at all. There's not much room in there. I suppose I'll go from underneath and get creative. Hope you get yours sourced bdtsr.

P.S. I don't think XJ4PLAY was trying to be a d!ck at all. I say that b/c he has contributed lots of good info. before. Sometimes the internet rubs b/c we can't identify the tone of others and on top of that we are often pissed when posting about something such as this. Good luck to you man.

Tank heaters are higher wattage heaters. Just be careful to install so it doesn't circulate through radiator or heater core. If through heater, it doesn't circulate through entire block. If through radiator, you loose all your heat in radiator each time.

Block heater on inline engine installed inplace of front freeze plug circulates quite well. Heat rises and as they heat coolant, it rises and cooler coolant at other end of block goes down. Even on V8's they are fine. I've ran both many times. Even ran 2 block heaters (one on each bank) on a V8. I only plugged in both a couple of times when I wanted fast warmup in extreme cold. Required 2 cords because of amp draw.

I just crawled around under my I6 and couldn't see where to hook in a hose unless the block drain is big enough to use.

I found some links for heaters: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72419 http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41833 http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41951 This one is good, but I suggest removing at least removing the air cleaner box to gain access. Maybe even the power steering pump.

I didn't search any of the other forums.

Good Luck!

Lloyd

Guys, these are the kind of responses that even though don't directly relate to what I have, do offer lots of information and assistance. The links were helpful (I already had read two of them in my search). The instructions say to use the block drain plug and the heater line that feeds the heater core. It's supposed to be around 50 degrees today so maybe I can get under it to finally put it in. Thanks again!

riverfever said:
I have no experience with the tank type either. I considered the in hose type a while ago but XJ4PLAY shot that one down :laugh3: . The guys at my NAPA sware they've never heard of anything going bad with them but I'd rather be safe. I bought a freeze plug type today for 24 bones. I'm not looking forward to putting it in at all. There's not much room in there. I suppose I'll go from underneath and get creative. Hope you get yours sourced bdtsr.

P.S. I don't think XJ4PLAY was trying to be a d!ck at all. I say that b/c he has contributed lots of good info. before. Sometimes the internet rubs b/c we can't identify the tone of others and on top of that we are often pissed when posting about something such as this. Good luck to you man.

Thanks for the kind words. I did reply to him, and I was not trying to be mean.

My buddy installed his heater and the worst part of it was the coolant gushing out when the freeze plug was removed/being removed. He loves it though and is glad he did it. "The immediate heat in the mornings when the temps are in the teens or lower is great!"

Depending on what the verdict is this week on my 98's engine I'll be adding a block heater as soon as either the head comes off or the jasper engine goes in, depends, either way I will have access to the freeze plugs :D. I don't like the inline heaters, seen them in military vehicles but they had a special fitting and were pretty solidly mounted.

I put the freeze plug type in my '99 in December last year. I only used it a handful of times so far, but it worked like a charm every time. Just remember, heating your coolant doesn't do anything for anything else (oil, gear oil, trans, etc). This topic's been mentioned a lot, so I'll let it go.

We use inline heaters on most of our equipment at work (cranes, forklifts, flatbeds, etc) and they work really well when installed well. I have no idea where to sneak it in on an XJ. Hope it works out well for ya!

-Rich

Today I installed a freeze plug block heater. It was so much easier than I thought it was going to be. I'd like it ot stay warm up here but it would be sweet to see if it works. My drive to work is less than 2 miles but it would be nice to have heat right away in the morning.

riverfever said:
Today I installed a freeze plug block heater. It was so much easier than I thought it was going to be. I'd like it ot stay warm up here but it would be sweet to see if it works. My drive to work is less than 2 miles but it would be nice to have heat right away in the morning.

With a 2 mile drive you would be much better served by getting the oil hot..

Back