• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bleeding the power steering pump....need help asap

maroonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I just replaced the power steering pump and serpentine belt on my 2000 4.0 and I have to bleed the system. I've filled up the reservoir on the pump but I don't have a jack to jack the front wheels up and turn to bleed the air out. Can I just turn the wheels while they're still on the ground and bleed as much air out as I can? I'll have access to a lift tomorrow so I can finish bleeding it tomorrow at work but will it be OK to drive if all the air isn't out of the system? It's about 20 miles to my dealership (mostly highway) but I don't want to screw anything up on my new pump I just put on. Any help is appreciated.

Oh, and should I leave the reservoir cap on or off when I'm bleeding it?

I did mine on the ground and it did fine. Was a little foamy at first but not bad. I did have the cap off.

When I did my Crown Vic (wife's car), I just ran it and turned the wheels back and forth on the ground. But first I ran it with the return to the reservoir disconnected and put into a milk jug while I kept filling the reservoir with clean. No point in running old crap through a new pump.

Back